This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Technical and General Writing”.
1. Technical writing is same as general writing.
Explanation: The statement is false. Technical writing is different from general writing. It deals with pure or applied sciences. It is not the same as general writing, which involves putting down one’s thoughts and opinions on any relevant topic in the form of meaningful, coherent writing.
2. Technical writing demands ______ use of language.
Explanation: Technical writing needs accuracy of expression and a restraint in style. It demands factual use of language. It does not care for figurative or poetic impressions.
3. Which of these must be avoided in technical writing?
d) Personal feelings
Explanation: Technical writing must be as objective as possible. There is no place for personal feelings in technical writing.
4. Which of these words is used in technical writing?
Explanation: Technical writing uses many special words. Thus a science book may use the word apex instead of top, base instead of bottom, etc..
5. Which of these is a technical word for slanting ?
Explanation: Technical writing uses special words instead of general words. Therefore , lateral is used instead of slanting, apex instead of top, base instead of bottom, etc..
6. Familiar words must be used in technical writing.
Explanation: The statement is true. We should use the familiar words instead of the abstract word in technical writing. In technical writing, the facts conveyed take priority over the level of vocabulary used. For instance, it is better to use to get instead of to acquire.
7. A scientist gets his special words from ____ language.
Explanation: The correct statement is: A scientist gets his special words from Greek and Latin languages. These languages provide huge opportunities to scientists to create new words.
8. Trigonometry is a ____ word.
Explanation: Trigonometry is a Greek word. It means : tri = three, gon = angle, metre = measure. Thus Trigonometry is a study of the relationships between the three angles of the triangle.
9. Which of these means bioscope?
Explanation: Cinema may be a familiar words today but it was called bioscope when motion pictures first came into being.
10. Electricity is derived from _____ language.
Explanation: Electricity is derived from the Greek language. Electro means amber in Greek.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10