This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Types of Precis Writing”.
1. Which of these is not a type of precis?
a) Precis of speech
b) Precis of correspondence
Explanation: Precis can be of four types. They are: precis of speech, precis of continuous matter, precis of correspondence and telegraphese.
2. Which of the following is NOT a rule of precis writing?
a) Always have a heading
b) Use as extensive vocabulary as possible
c) Remove any irrelevant information present in the original passage
d) Do not use any short forms or abbreviations
Explanation: The objective of a precis is to summarize a longer, wordier piece of writing. So, it should be short and crisp, such that the crux of the original passage is adequately conveyed in as less words as possible.
3. A precis should be written in third person.
Explanation: The statement is true. A precis should be written in third person and in the past tense. All pronouns must be in third person.
4. Which of these should be avoided in a precis?
d) Indirect speech
Explanation: Figurative language and imagery should not be used. Language which is needlessly poetic should be avoided at all costs.
5. _______ in a speech must be avoided in a summary.
Explanation: Repetitions in a speech must be avoided in a summary. Ideas which have similar meanings must be clubbed together and produced as one central idea.
6. Which of these is not included in precis of continuous matter?
a) Parliamentary reports
c) Reports of evidence
Explanation: Continuous matter includes every kind of matter other than correspondence. It includes question and answer form (parliamentary reports, reports of evidence, etc.) or articles.
7. The date of the passage must not be given in precis of continuous matter.
Explanation: The statement is false. The date and time of the passage must be given in precis of continuous matter.
8. Which of these is also known as abstract?
a) Index precis
b) Narrative precis
c) Precis of speech
Explanation: Precis of correspondence may be of two types. They are: Index- precis and narrative- precis.
9. Index precis is also known as _____
c) narrative precis
d) precis of speech
Explanation: The correct statement is: Index precis is also known as docket. They can also be known as abstract or a schedule. It is presented in the form of a table.
10. How must the date be written in an index precis?
a) November 15, 2004
b) 15 November, 2004
c) 2004, November 15
d) November 2004, 15
Explanation: The date should ideally be written as 15 November, 2004, instead of any other form like November 15, 2004.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10