This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Rules for Use of Abbreviations”.
1. Full stops must be omitted from abbreviations.
Explanation: The statement is true. Full stops must be omitted from abbreviations, unless they are to be retained for clarity.
2. No space must be added between abbreviations.
Explanation: The statement is true. No space must be added between abbreviations. The abbreviation of World Health Organisation is WHO and not W.H.O.
3. Which of these months does not have an abbreviation?
Explanation: The abbreviations for January, December and August is Jan, Dec and Aug respectively. May, June and July are not abbreviated.
4. What is the abbreviation for October?
Explanation: The abbreviation for October is Oct. Abbreviations for February is Feb, November is Nov and December is Dec.
5. What is the abbreviation for Thursday?
Explanation: The abbreviation for Thursday is Thurs and 6 is Tues. The abbreviation for Sunday is Sun, Monday is Mon and Saturday is Sat.
6. Which of these measurements does not have an abbreviation?
Explanation: A word indicating measurement which has less than four letters is not abbreviated but there are exceptions like mile.
7. What is the abbreviation of Hectometre?
Explanation: The abbreviation of Hectometre is hm. The abbreviation of Dekametre is dkm and Decimetre is dm.
8. What is the abbreviation of Centilitre?
Explanation: The abbreviation of Centilitre is cl. The abbreviation for Millilitre is m1l and kilolitre is kl. The abbreviation for Decilitre is dl.
9. What is the expansion of a/c?
a) Alternating current
d) Chartered Accountant
Explanation: The expansion for a/c is account. The abbreviation for alternating current is AC and association is assoc.
10. What is the abbreviation for Centigrade?
Explanation: The abbreviation for centigrade is C. The abbreviation for cubic centimetres is cc which is the same for carbon copy.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.