This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Homophones and their Uses”.
1. Homophones are words that sound different but have same meanings.
Explanation: The statement is false. Homophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings and spellings.
2. Which of these means to omit?
Explanation: Except is a preposition or verb which means to leave out or omit. Accept means to receive and is a verb. Both of these are homophones.
3. Which of these means to influence?
Explanation: Affect and effect are homophones. Both these words are verbs. Affect means to influence while effect means to bring about.
4. ______ is the most important city of a country.
Explanation: Capital is a noun meaning the most important city or town of a country. Capitol is a noun meaning a building, housing a legislative assembly.
5. Which of these is an adjective?
Explanation: Coarse is an adjective meaning unrefined or harsh in texture. Course is a noun meaning the route or direction followed by a river or ship.
6. Fill in the blank.
She writes everyday in her ____
Explanation: The correct statement is: She writes everyday in her diary. Dairy means a building or room for storage, processing and distribution of milk and milk products. Diary means a book in which one keeps a daily record of events.
7. Which of these expresses distance?
Explanation: Farther is an adverb and an adjective, used to express distance or space. Further means a greater expanse of space or time, quality or degree.
8. _____ refers to the second-mentioned thing of two things.
Explanation: Later is an adjective. It is the comparative of late and means after some time. Latter refers to the second or second-mentioned of two people or things.
9. Which of these is a conjunction?
Explanation: Weather is a noun meaning the state of the atmosphere at a place and time. Whether is a conjunction which means expressing a doubt or choice between alternatives. For example: You’re going to school you’ve finished your homework or not.
10. Which of these means a piece of wood?
Explanation: Wage is a noun meaning a fixed regular payment for work. Wedge is a noun meaning a piece of wood or metal.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10