This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Use and Examples of Eponyms”.
1. Eponym is a word derived from the name of an object.
Explanation: The statement is false. Eponym is a word derived from the name of a person. It is a name of a person after whom a discovery, invention, place etc. is named.
2. Alstroemeria is an eponym.
Explanation: The statement is true. Alstroemeria is an eponym. It is a South American plant named after Swedish naturalist Klas Von Alatroemer.
3. Which of these is not an eponym?
Explanation: Basket is not an eponym. Bloomers is a women’s loose fitting trousers gathered at the knee. It is named after American women’s rights advocate Amelia. J. Bloomer.
4. Cassegrain Telescope is named after?
a) A German astronomer
b) A French astronomer
c) A Russian astronomer
d) An American astronomer
Explanation: Cassegrain Telescope is a reflecting telescope named after the French astronomer N Cassegrain, who devised it. It is an eponym.
5. Which of these is an ornamental writing desk?
Explanation: Davenport is an ornamental writing desk which was made for Captain Davenport. It is an eponym.
6. Which of these is named after an Irish land agent?
Explanation: Boycott means to withdraw from social or commercial relations as a protest. It is an eponym named after an Irish land agent Captain Charles C Boycott.
7. Which of these is not an eponym?
a) Chagas Disease
b) Alzheimer’s Disease
Explanation: Deployment is not an eponym. Chagas Disease is named after Brazilian physician Carlos Chagas and Alzheimer’s Disease is named after German neurologist Alois Alzheimer.
8. Pennsylvania is named after whom?
a) William Penn
b) Jean Penn
c) Ralph Penn
d) George Penn
Explanation: Pennsylvania is an eponym. It is named after an English real estate entrepreneur and philosopher William Penn.
9. Which of these is named after a German physician?
a) Alzheimer’s Disease
b) Weil’s Disease
c) Chagas Disease
d) Reye’s Syndrome
Explanation: Weil’s Disease is a severe form of leptospirosis transmitted through rats. It is named after the German physician H. Adolf Weil.
10. Which of these is a wine bottle?
Explanation: Rehoboam is an eponym. It is wine bottle, six times bigger than standard size, named after king of ancient Israel. Nicotine is named after French ambassador Jean Nicot.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10