This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Types of Articles”.
1. Which of these is not an article?
Explanation: A, an and the are called articles in English grammar. An is used before a vowel or silent h. The word ‘this’ can be a pronoun (Eg: This is my seat.); or a determiner (Eg: This cake is the tastiest one.)
2. A is used before a vowel sounding like a consonant.
Explanation: A is used before a consonant or a vowel sounding like a consonant. For example, A man, a unit, a useful thing, a one rupee- note.
3. What are a, an and the collectively called?
a) Indefinite articles
b) Demonstrative adjectives
c) Definite articles
d) Demonstrative adverbs
Explanation: A, an and the are adjectives. They are called demonstrative adjectives. A and an are indefinite articles and the is called a definite article.
4. Fill in the blank with article :
__ child must respect his parents.
Explanation: Articles are classified into two types. They are indefinite and definite articles. Indefinite articles are a and an. Definite article includes only the. The correct statement is : A child must respect his parents.
5. Which if these belong to indefinite articles?
b) A and an
c) An and the
d) A and the
Explanation: A and an are called the indefinite articles because they leave indefinite the person or thing spoken of. Thus, a boy means any boy. The is a definite article.
6. Which of these belong to definite articles?
a) A and the
c) A and an
d) An and the
Explanation: The is called a definite article because it speaks of some particular person or thing. Example : He is the boy who teased me. A and an are indefinite articles.
7. The indefinite article is used when a singular noun is meant to represent a whole class.
Explanation: The definite article the is used when a singular noun is meant to represent a whole class. For example, The cow is a mammal.
8. Fill in the blank : Bismillah Khan plays _____ shehnai with great skill.
d) a or the
Explanation: Here we will use the definite article the. The is used before musical instruments as in the above question. The is also used before the names of certain books. Example, The Mahabharat.
9. Correct the incorrect statement :
How gentle person Mr. Bhatia is!
a) How gentle a person Mr. Bhatia is!
b) How gentle the person Mr. Bhatia is!
c) How gentle person the Mr. Bhatia is!
d) How a gentle person Mr. Bhatia is!
Explanation: The correct statement would be ‘How gentle a person Mr. Bhatia is!’. We use a or an before a single countable noun.
10. Fill in the blank : Neha has left for ___ United States of America.
Explanation: The statement will be – Neha has left for the United States of America. Usually, countries aren’t preceded by any article, but the nations that are a union or which are united states, are preceded by the definite article ‘the’. Eg: The United States of America, The People’s Republic of China
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10