This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Business Letters”.
1. Business letters should be concise.
Explanation: The statement is true. Business letters should be precise and concise. Businessmen are extremely short of time.
2. Which of these must be avoided in business letters?
a) Polite words
b) Formal words
d) Clear details
Explanation: Words which are non-standard or usage of slang must be avoided. Abbreviations constitutes non- standard usage. For example, use advertisement instead of advt.
3. The mode of payment must be stated in business letters.
Explanation: The statement is true. The mode of payment must be stated in business letters. Also, the way the goods need to be transported has to be mentioned.
4. Which of these must not be mentioned in a business letter?
a) Information of the quality of the order
b) Name of the firm
c) The mode of payment
d) With regards
Explanation: A business letter must have clear details of articles required, giving precise information of the quality and quantity you wish to order. Also, the mode of payment has to be mentioned.
5. Where should the name of the firm be mentioned?
a) Right of the page
b) Below the address of the writer
c) Above the address of the writer
d) On the last page of the letter
Explanation: The name of the firm or businessman to whom the letter is addressed should be written on the first page of the letter to the left of the page, just below the address of the writer.
6. Which of these is not a mode of address for any letter?
a) To a tradesman
b) To a child
c) To a firm
d) To professional men
Explanation: The modes of address vary depending on the person to whom the letter has been addressed: to a tradesman, to a firm or to professional men.
7. Which of these is not used to conclude a business letter?
a) Yours faithfully
b) Yours truly
c) Yours sincerely
d) With kind regards
Explanation: Always begin a business letter with “Dear Sir” and conclude with “Yours faithfully”, “Yours truly”, etc.. but not “Yours sincerely”.
8. Which of these should not be present in a business letter?
a) The name of firm or businessman
b) The date
c) Business jargon
d) Courteous leave-taking
Explanation: A business letter should be free of business or technical jargon or stereotyped expressions which convey nothing.
9. The space to be left from the top is ___
a) 5 cms
b) 2.5 cms
c) 4 cms
d) 2 cms
Explanation: There is a need to place the letter on the sheet as per accepted norms. The space left in a letter is 5 cms at the top and at the bottom and 2.5 cms on the sides.
10. Where are the details of enclosures mentioned?
a) Beginning of the letter
b) Below the signature column
c) Right-hand side of the letter
d) Main body of the letter
Explanation: The detail of enclosures is placed below the signature column. They are aligned with the left-hand side of the letter.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10