This set of Professional Communication Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “Elements of Precis Writing”.
1. Precis writing is the art of presenting certain information.
Explanation: The statement is true. Precis writing is the art of presenting certain information in a condensed form.
2. The Chambers Everyday Dictionary describes precis as _______
a) a summary
b) a presentation
c) a story
d) an incident
Explanation: The correct statement is: The Chambers Everyday Dictionary describes precis as an abstract or a summary.
3. A precis saves time.
Explanation: The statement is true. The biggest advantage of a precis, however, is that it saves time. Most modern executives are constantly working against time.
4. A precis must use the ______ tense of verbs.
d) present continuous
Explanation: The correct statement is: A precis must use the past tense of verbs. A precis of crucial importance. It enables a person to compress large information without losing anything worthwhile.
5. A precis must always have a ______
Explanation: The correct statement is: A precis must always have a heading. The title must be the shortest possible and it must reflect the central idea of the passage.
6. A precis must be how long?
a) One-third of original passage
b) Two-third of original passage
c) Same as of original passage
d) One-fifth of original passage
Explanation: A precis must be one-third the length of the original passage. It may sometimes be less than one-third if the original passage has indulged in too much circumlocution.
7. Which of these are not allowed in a precis?
Explanation: Abbreviations are not allowed in a precis nor can the parameters of grammar be compromised. Adverbs and adjectives can be eliminated.
8. In a precis, conjunctions can be replaced by _______
a) Full stop
Explanation: The correct statement is: In a precis, conjunctions can be replaced by semicolon. Adverbs and adjectives can be eliminated in order to reduce the length of the passage.
9. Which of these is called a percentage graph?
a) Bar graph
c) Pie graph
Explanation: A pie graph is also called a circle or percentage graph. It is hundred percent graph. It is used to display data in terms of relative percentage.
10. Which of these contains symbols?
a) Pie graph
b) Pictorial graph
d) Bar graph
Explanation: Pictorial graphs contain symbols. These symbols represent a single unit. These symbols should have some resemblance to the objects they denote.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication for Experienced people, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10