This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “List of Abbreviations”.
1. What is the expansion of AD?
a) Anno domini
Explanation: The expansion for AD is Anno domini. It is a calendar term that was used in Julian and Gregorian calendars. The abbreviations for Aide-de-camp, Appendix and Adverb are ADC, app and adv respectively.
2. What is the abbreviation for Pound?
Explanation: The abbreviation for pound is lb. The abbreviation for microgram is mcg and for ounce is oz.
3. What is the expansion for PABX?
a) Private Automatic Branch Exchange
b) Public Automatic Branch Exchange
c) Private Annual Branch Exchange
d) Public Annual Branch Exchange
Explanation: The expansion for PABX is Private Automatic Branch Exchange. The expansion for PBX is Private Automatic Exchange.
4. Which of these means “from the beginning”?
a) ad hoc
b) ab intio
c) a priori
d) ad interim
Explanation: ad intio is a latin phrase which means “from the beginning”. Ad hoc means “made or done for a particular purpose”.
5. Which of these is a French phrase?
a) Bona fide
b) De facto
c) Deja vu
Explanation: Déjà vu is a French phrase which means “a sense of having experienced the present”. Bona fide is Latin word which means “real”. De facto is a Latin phrase. Blitzkrieg is a German term referring to a certain military tactic.
6. Which of these is an abbreviation for Bachelor of Laws?
Explanation: The abbreviation for Bachelor of Laws is LLB. The abbreviation for Doctor of Laws is LLD and Low Frequency is LF.
7. Which of these means “a monument”?
Explanation: Edifile (pronounced as ed-uh-fis) means a monument. Bulwark means a strong defensive wall structure. Façade means the exterior face of a building. A portal is a door, or a gateway.
8. Which of these means “a tool for boring holes in wood”?
Explanation: The word “Auger” means a tool for boring holes in wood. Banister means a vertical member to support a handrail. A conduit is a passageway for flow of fluids such as water. To laminate is to cover something with a layer of protective material, usually plastic.
9. Which of these is an abbreviation for Please Reply?
Explanation: The abbreviation for Please Reply is RSVP (Répondez, S‘il Vous Plaît). The abbreviation for signed is sgd.
10. Which of these means “to strain”?
Explanation: The word sieve means to strain. The word baste means to moisten meat in its own juices during cooking.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10