This set of Basic Professional Communication Questions and Answers focuses on “Definitions”.
1. Information is required to describe an object.
Explanation: The statement is true. Information is required to describe an object. It is also needed to explain processes involved in technical operations.
2. Which of these terms do not need a definition?
Explanation: Terms which involve principles, concepts or processes need to be defined. It is done so that ambiguities can be removed and information can be made available to others.
3. A definition usually consists of ___ statement(s).
Explanation: A definition usually consists of one statement, though more than one statement might sometimes be necessary.
4. A definition consists of how many parts?
Explanation: A definition must contain: The class to which the term belongs and the thing which separates it from other members of the same class.
5. A definition excludes everything which is unimportant.
Explanation: The statement is true. A definition excludes everything which is unimportant, but without taking away anything from the main information that needs to be conveyed.
6. Which of these must be eliminated by a writer while defining?
Explanation: While defining something a writer must eliminate his prejudices and limitations of knowledge in that field. He must give an objective and complete definition of a term.
7. Which of these is a representation of an object drawn by lines?
Explanation: A drawing is a representation of an object drawn by lines, shade, etc..A picture is different from a drawing and an illustration.
8. A _____ is a representation of an object on another surface.
Explanation: The correct statement is: A picture is a representation of an object on another surface. A drawing is a representation of an object drawn by lines, shade, etc.
9. What does LASER stand for?
a) Light Amplification of Stimulated Emission of Radiation
b) Light Amplification of Stimulated Emission by Radiation
c) Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
d) Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission by Radiation
Explanation: LASER stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. It is a device which produces an intense, high direction beam of light of a very pure colour.
10. Thermostat is a combination of ___ and ___
a) therm, ostat
b) thermo, stat
c) therm, stat
d) therms, tat
Explanation: The word thermostat is a combination of thermo = heat and stat = regulation. Thus thermostat is an automatic device for regulating temperatures.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice basic questions and answers on all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Professional Communication
- Participate in Professional Communication Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Professional Communication
- Take Professional Communication Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10