This set of Class 12 Chemistry Chapter 10 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Nature of C-X Bond”.
1. The carbon-halogen bond of an alkyl halide is polarised due to the _________
a) higher electronegativity of halogen atom than carbon
b) higher electronegativity of carbon than halogen atom
c) partial positive charge on halogen atom and a partial negative charge on carbon
d) tendency of halogen atom to donate electrons
Explanation: Polarity occurs between two entities when there is a difference in the magnitude and signs of charges between the two entities. In this case, the halogen is more negatively charged than the carbon, and hence it is polarised.
2. The size of the halogen atom _________ as we go down the group in the periodic table.
c) remains same
d) increases then decreases
Explanation: The common trend within the halogen group in the periodic table is that the size of the atom increases from top to bottom.
3. Which is the largest halogen atom?
Explanation: Iodine lies below bromine, chlorine and fluorine in the halogen group and hence has the largest atomic size.
4. If the bond length of C-Cl bond in chloromethane is 178pm, what will be the probable bond length of C-Br bond in bromomethane?
Explanation: The size of Cl atom is smaller than the size of Br atom as the latter appears lower than Cl in the halogen group. Hence, the carbon-halogen bond length of C-Br must be bigger than that of C-Cl, i.e., 178pm, therefore it must be 193pm.
5. If X and Y are the carbon-halogen bond enthalpies in chloroethane and bromoethane respectively, what is the relationship between X and Y?
a) X > Y
b) X < Y
c) X = Y
d) X + Y = 0
Explanation: Since the C-F bond length will be shorter than the C-Cl bond length due to the smaller size of F atom, it will require more energy to break the C-F bond, hence the enthalpy value of C-Cl bond will be lower than that of C-F bond.
6. The bond length between carbon and fluorine is the largest among all other halogens.
Explanation: Since fluorine has the smallest atomic size among the halogens, it will form the smallest carbon-halogen bond in haloalkanes.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.