This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Coordination Compounds Importance and Applications”.
1. Which reagent is used for detecting Ni2+ ions in solution?
Explanation: When dimethylglyoxime is added to a solution along with ammonium hydroxide, the formation of a bright red precipitate indicates the presence of Ni2+ ions in solution. This is due to the formation of nickel dimethylglyoxime complex.
2. Hardness of water is estimated by simple titration with which compound?
Explanation: The Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions form stable complexes with EDTA, and the difference in the stability constants of Ca and Mg complexes helps in the estimation of hardness of water.
Explanation: Gold combines with cyanide in the presence of air and water to form [Au(CN)2]– in aqueous solution. This is then treated with zinc dust to obtain gold in metallic form.
4. Haemoglobin is a complex compound of which metal ion?
Explanation: Haemoglobin is the red pigment of blood which acts as the oxygen carrier and it a coordination compound of iron(II).
5. Which of the following biologically important coordination compounds has a magnesium central atom?
c) Vitamin B12
Explanation: Chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants, responsible for photosynthesis, is a coordination compound of Mg.
6. The coordination complex chloridotris (triphenylphosphine) rhodium(I) is used in the hydrogenation of alkenes. It is also known as __________ catalyst.
Explanation: Coordination compounds may be used as homogeneous or heterogeneous catalysts for many reactions. Wilkinson catalyst is used as a homogeneous catalyst in hydrogenation of alkenes, whereas Ziegler¬-Natta catalyst is used as a heterogeneous catalyst for the polymerisation of olefins.
7. The platinum complex, trans-platin has been used in cancer treatment.
Explanation: Cis-platin is a coordination complex of platinum which is effective in inhibiting the growth of tumours.
8. The complex ion [Ag(S2O3)2]3- is associated with which field?
c) Water treatment
Explanation: In black and white photography, the film is fixed by washing with hypo solution which dissolves the undecomposed silver bromide to form [Ag(S2O3)2]3-.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10