This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Uses of Carboxylic Acids”.
1. Which of the following is not a use of methanoic acid?
a) Leather tanning
b) Coagulant in rubber industry
c) Food preservative
d) Textile dyeing
Explanation: Methanoic acid is the simplest acid and is used in rubber manufacturing, leather tanning, textile dyeing and finishing and electroplating industries.
2. Which carboxylic acid is used in the manufacturing of nylon-6,6?
a) Propanedioic acid
b) Butanedioic acid
c) Pentanedioic acid
d) Hexanedioic acid
Explanation: Nylon-6,6 is manufactured from the condensation polymerisation of hexanedioic acid (adipic acid) with hexamethylenediamine under high pressure and temperature.
3. Esters of which acid are used in the perfume industry?
a) Ethanoic acid
b) Benzoic acid
c) Phthalic acid
d) Formic acid
Explanation: Esters of benzoic acids are used in the perfumery industry. For example, ethyl benzoate is a component of some fragrances and artificial flavours.
4. __________ is commonly used as a food preservative.
a) Sodium benzoate
b) Potassium benzoate
c) Terephthalic acid
d) Acetic acid
Explanation: When C6H5COOH reacts with NaOH, a salt called sodium benzoate is formed. When an aqueous salt solution is prepared from this product, it acts as a preservative. It is identified by the code E211.
5. Which of the following carboxylic acids is not used in the manufacturing of soaps?
a) Capric acid
b) Stearic acid
c) Oleic acid
d) Palmitic acid
Explanation: Soaps are sodium or potassium salts of long chain fatty acids like stearic, oleic, palmitic acids, etc. Capric acid is decanoic acid and contains 10 carbon atoms and is not classified as a fatty acid.
6. Ethanoic acid is used as vinegar in the cooking industry.
Explanation: Generally, a 1:10 solution of acetic acid in water is called vinegar. It is a commercial product that may be used in salads or other foods. It may include traces of other chemicals for the need of flavouring.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10