This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Cleansing Agents”.
1. Which of the following causes soap to lather?
a) Sodium carbonate
b) Sodium rosinate
c) Sodium silicate
Explanation: Rosin is a chemical compound which is a gum that is added while making soaps. During saponification, it forms sodium rosinate which forms lathers.
2. When a soap is dissolved in ethanol followed by the evaporation of excess solvent, what type of soap is formed?
a) Transparent soap
b) Floating soap
c) Shaving soap
d) Laundry soap
Explanation: When the soap is dissolved in a solution of ethanol while making it and then evaporating the excess ethanol not used in the process, a transparent soap is formed.
3. What is the use of trisodium phosphate in soap powders?
a) To make the soap act rapidly
b) To make it lather
c) To prevent rapid drying
d) For good odour
Explanation: Sodium carbonate and trisodium phosphate acts a builders or building agents in powder soaps. These make the soap act more rapidly.
4. Dishwashing liquids are examples of ______
b) anionic detergents
c) cationic detergents
d) non-ionic detergents
Explanation: Dishwashing liquids are non-ionic detergents. They may be prepared from the reaction of polyethylene glycol with stearic acid. These do not contain any ionic entities in their whole chain.
5. Identify the cationic detergent from the following.
a) Cetyltrimethylammonium bromide
b) Sodium dodecyl sulphate
c) Pentaerythritol monostearate
d) Sodium lauryl sulphate
Explanation: Cetyltrimethylammonium bromide is a quaternary salt cation with bromine as the anion. The cationic part participates in the cleansing mechanism. Pentaerythritol monostearate is a non-ionic detergent, whereas sodium dodecyl sulphate and sodium lauryl sulphate are anionic detergents.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs
- Buy Class 12 - Chemistry Books
- Practice Class 12 - Physics MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs