This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers Nomenclature – 1”.
1. According to IUPAC, what is the suffix used for naming alcohols?
Explanation: According to IUPAC, the naming of alcohols is done by substituting the ‘e’ in the name of the alkane with the prefix ‘ol’.
2. What is the common name of Butan-2-ol?
a) n-Butyl alcohol
b) sec-Butyl alcohol
c) Isobutyl alcohol
d) tert-Butyl alcohol
Explanation: Butan-2-ol has a parent chain of 4 carbon atoms and the OH group at the second carbon. Such configurations have the prefix sec- in the common name.
3. How many carbon atoms are present in the parent chain of tert-Butyl alcohol?
Explanation: The IUPAC name of tert-Butyl alcohol is 2-methylpropan-2-ol, which has two substituent groups at the C-2 position, namely one methyl and one hydroxyl group.
4. What is the IUPAC name of Isopropyl alcohol?
Explanation: Isopropyl alcohol has a parent chain of three carbon atoms with the hydroxyl group at the second carbon, hence propan-2-ol.
5. Glycerol is a _________ alcohol.
Explanation: The IUPAC name of glycerol is Propane-1,2,3-triol, signifying that there are three hydroxyl groups attached to three different carbon atoms.
6. Which of the following is not a polyhydric alcohol?
b) Ethylene glycol
c) Propylene glycol
Explanation: Polyhydric alcohols have two or more hydroxyl groups in their structure and are named as either glycols in the common system or as diols and triols in the IUPAC system.
7. Identify the correct IUPAC name of the given compound.
Explanation: The longest parent carbon chain include the ethyl group and has 5 carbon atoms. The hydroxyl group is at C-2 and methyl group at C-3 to satisfy the lowest set of locants rule.
8. Identify the correct IUPAC name for the given compound.
b) Butylene glycol
Explanation: This is a dihydric alcohol with OH groups at the first and third carbon positions. Butylene glycol is also the correct name but in the common system.
9. Which of the following is an incorrect name for the compound with aromatic ring having hydroxyl groups at para positions?
Explanation: Resorcinol is the common name for the dihydric phenolic compound with the OH groups at meta positions or 1, 3 positions.
10. What is the common name of the simplest hydroxy derivative of benzene?
Explanation: The simplest hydroxy derivative of benzene is phenol, which is its common as well as IUPAC name. It is a monohydric compound.
11. Which of the following phenols is not dihydric?
Explanation: m-Cresol is a monohydric phenol with a methyl group at meta position with respect to OH. Its IUPAC name is 3-Methylphenol.
12. The compound o-Cresol is named as 2-Hydroxymethyl benzene in the IUPAC system.
Explanation: The C attached to the hydroxyl group is considered as the first carbon and hence the methyl group is present at the second carbon. So the correct name would be 2-Methylphenol.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Buy Class 12 - Chemistry Books
- Practice Class 12 - Physics MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs