This set of Chemistry Question Papers for IIT JEE Exam focuses on “Chemicals in Food”.
1. Which of the following chemicals are added to increase the shelf-life of foods?
a) Food colour
c) Artificial flavours
Explanation: Chemicals are added to food for improving their aesthetic, to increase their shelf-life or to add nutritive value. Food colours, flavours and sweeteners simply enhance the appearance and taste of food. Antioxidants are used for preservation.
2. Which of the following artificial sweeteners can be only used in soft drinks?
Explanation: Aspartame is an artificial sweetening agent which is unstable at higher temperatures. It is a compound formed from aspartic acid and phenylalanine. It is 100 times as sweet as cane sugar.
3. Alitame is ______ times sweeter than cane sugar.
Explanation: Alitame is a compound consisting of one hydroxy group, three keto groups and a tetra-methyl sulphur containing cyclic group. It is a very strong sweetener and provides uncontrollable sweetness to food.
4. Which of the following is not a preservative?
b) Potassium metasulphite
c) Sodium benzoate
d) Sorbic acid salts
Explanation: Preservatives are chemicals that are added to food to prevent their spoilage and preserve their nutritive value and taste. Salt, sugar and oils are the most common examples. Potassium metasulphite is used in jams. Dulcin is an artificial sweeter.
5. Which of the following is not an antioxidant?
d) Sulphur dioxide
Explanation: Antioxidants prevent food spoilage by itself reacting with oxygen and protecting the food from oxidation. Butylated hydroxy toluene and butylated hydroxy anisole increase the shelf lives of food like butter. SO2 is also used in wines, fruits and sugar syrups for preservation.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice Chemistry Question Papers for IIT JEE Exam, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10