This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biodegradable Polymers”.
1. Which of the following is a non-biodegradable polymer?
Explanation: Low density polyethylene is a plastic that cannot be decomposed by the abiotic sources and microorganisms and have a harmful effect on the environment.
2. Identify the biodegradable polymer from the following.
a) Polyvinyl chloride
d) Polylactic acid
Explanation: Polylactic acid (PLA) is one of the most common bioplastics which can be easily broken down by soil microorganisms and does not cause any negative effects on the environment. It is a polyester made from lactic acid and lactide.
3. What are the monomers of PHBV?
a) 2-Hydroxybutanoic acid, 2-hydroxypentanoic acid
b) 2-Hydroxybutanoic acid, 3-hydroxypentanoic acid
c) 3-Hydroxybutanoic acid, 2-hydroxypentanoic acid
d) 3-Hydroxybutanoic acid, 3-hydroxypentanoic acid
Explanation: PHBV is short for poly β-hydroxybutyrate-co-β-hydroxy valerate. This shows that is a copolymer of β-hydroxybutyrate (3-hydroxybutanoic acid) and β-hydroxy valerate (3-hydroxypentanoic acid). PHBV is biodegradable as it can be decomposed by bacteria.
4. Nylon-2-nylon-6 is a biodegradable polymer.
Explanation: It is a polyamide copolymer of an amino acid NH2-CH2-COOH (glycine) and NH2-(CH2)5-COOH (amino caproic acid). The two monomer units alternate after each other. It is an important biodegradable copolymer.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Buy Class 12 - Chemistry Books
- Practice Class 12 - Physics MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs