This set of Chemistry Assessment Questions for IIT JEE Exam focuses on “Diazonium Salts in Synthesis of Aromatic Compounds”.
1. Diazonium salts are specifically used as intermediates in the production of which of the following compounds?
Explanation: m-Bromotoluene cannot be prepared from the direct bromination of toluene or by Friedel-Crafts alkylation of bromobenzene, because of the ortho, para directing nature of alkyl groups.
2. What is the minimum number of reactions required for the conversion of aniline to 1,3,5-tribromobenzene?
Explanation: The three reactions are as follows:
\(\Rightarrow\) Reaction 1: Aniline on treatment with bromine water gives 2,4,6-tribromoaniline.
\(\Rightarrow\) Reaction 2: This on diazotisation with HNO2 gives 2,4,6-tribromobenzenediazonium chloride.
\(\Rightarrow\) Reaction 3: This on reaction with H3PO2, reduces the diazo group to hydrogen, to give 1,3,5-tribromobenzene.
3. p-Iodonitrobenzene can be synthesized from p-nitroaniline.
Explanation: p-Nitroaniline on diazotisation gives p-nitrobenzenediazonium chloride with on treatment with potassium iodide replaces the N2+Cl– group to give p-iodonitrobenzene.
4. Diazonium salts are used in which of the following industries?
Explanation: Coupling reactions of diazonium salts produce azo compounds which are coloured in nature. This is used as an application in the manufacturing of dyes.
5. Diazonium salts are primarily used for the preparation of _______ substituted aromatic compounds.
Explanation: Diazonium salts are important intermediates for the introduction of -F, -Cl, -Br, -I, etc. groups into an aromatic ring. Certain compounds like aryl fluorides and aryl iodides cannot be prepared by direct halogenation and are prepared from diazonium salts.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice Chemistry Assessment Questions for IIT JEE Exam, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Class 12 - Chemistry Books
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Physics MCQs