This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Uses of Aldehydes and Ketones”.
1. Which of the following is used in the preservation of biological specimens?
Explanation: Methanal is easily soluble in water and is commercially sold as formalin (40% methanal, 8% methanol, 52% water) and is used for preserving biological specimens.
2. Which of the following is not a use of formaldehyde?
a) Preservation of biological specimens
b) Manufacturing of bakelite
c) Silvering of mirrors
d) Preparation of acetic acid.
Explanation: Formaldehyde consists of only a single carbon atom and cannot be used as a starting compound for the preparation of acetic acid. However, it is used in the manufacture of bakelite, glues and polymeric products. It also acts as a reducing agent in the silvering of mirrors.
3. Which of the following carbonyl compounds are known for their pleasant odour?
Explanation: Acetone belongs to the lower sizes of ketones and is less fragrant than the higher compounds like acetophenone, camphor and vanillin which are used as flavouring agents in different industries.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10