This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Commercially Important Alcohols”.
1. Which alcohol is known as a wood spirit?
Explanation: Methanol was originally produced from the destructive distillation of wood and is hence, also known as wood spirit.
2. Which of the following is the most suitable temperature and pressure conditions for production of methanol by catalytic hydrogenation?
a) 300K, 100atm
b) 400K, 250atm
c) 500K, 275atm
d) 600K, 300atm
Explanation: Methanol is produced by catalytic hydrogenation of carbon monoxide at high pressure (200-300atm) and high temperature (573-673K) in the presence of ZnO-Cr2O3 catalyst.
3. Which of the following is not a property of methanol?
a) Colourless liquid
b) Boiling point 337K
c) Immiscible in water
d) Highly poisonous
Explanation: Methanol is a colourless liquid that boils at 337K. It is miscible in water in all proportions.
4. Which of the following is not a use of methanol?
a) Solvent for paints
b) Manufacturing of formaldehyde
c) Production of alcoholic drinks
d) Antifreeze in car radiators
Explanation: Methanol is highly poisonous and ingestion in small quantities can cause blindness and large quantities can even lead to death.
5. In wine making, the sugar required is derived from which source?
Explanation: Grapes are the source of sugar as well as yeast in wine making. As the grapes ripen, the quantity of sugar increases and yeast grows on the outside.
6. Glucose and fructose are converted to ethanol in the presence of ________
Explanation: Glucose and fructose undergo fermentation in the presence of an enzyme called zymase, which is found in yeast.
7. Which of the following compounds is not used in the denaturation of alcohol?
a) Copper sulphate
b) Methyl alcohol
d) Ethyl alcohol
Explanation: Ethyl alcohol is drinkable and is made unfit to drink to avoid misuse in industries. This is done by adding some methanol, copper sulphate (to give it colour) and pyridine (to make it foul smelling). This is known as denaturation of alcohol.
8. Methanol can be used as an antiseptic in hospitals.
Explanation: Methanol is harmful in nature and human contact should be avoided at all times. However, ethanol can be used as an antiseptic.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Class 12 - Chemistry Books
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Physics MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs