This set of Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Drugs and their Classification”.
1. A chemical compound that affects human metabolism and provides cure from diseases is called ______
Explanation: The chemical compounds which interact with specific targets and initiate a biological response in the body are called drugs. When the response is therapeutic and useful, they are called medicines and when it is harmful, they are called poisons.
2. Which of the following is not a classification of drugs?
a) Based on size
b) Based on chemical structure
c) Based on drug action
d) Based on target
Explanation: Drugs are mainly classified on the basis of four criteria, namely pharmacological effect, drug action, chemical structure and molecular targets in the body.
3. The classification of drugs based on ______ is the most useful one for medicinal chemists.
a) pharmacological effect
b) drug action
c) chemical structure
d) molecular targets
Explanation: Medicinal chemists are interested in the location at which a particular drug will create action and assign specific drugs to people based on the requirements. This also involves the mechanism of drug action on target based on structure.
4. Identify the compound which does not act as a target for drug action in the human body?
c) Vitamin C
Explanation: The usual macromolecular targets of drugs in the body are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids. Since vitamins are not produced by the body, they can be controlled without the use of drugs.
5. Which of the following drugs is not classified in the criteria based on the pharmacological effect?
Explanation: Pharmacological effects of drugs provides a wide range of drugs that have a same effect on a specific type of problem. Analgesics have pain killing effect, antiseptics prevent the growth of microbes and antipyretics help in lowering body temperature during fever.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 12
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 12
- Take Chemistry - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Class 12 - Physics MCQs
- Buy Class 12 - Chemistry Books
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs