This set of Class 11 Chemistry Chapter 1 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Nature of Matter”.
1. The substances whose compositions are not uniform and different components are mixed are called _______
a) Homogenous substances
b) Heterogeneous substances
c) Pure substances
Explanation: Heterogeneous substance is a mixture of different components non-uniformly. Homogeneous substances is a uniform mixture of substances. A pure substance has a fixed composition. Whereas elements are composed of only one substance.
2. A ________ is made up of two or more pure substances which may be in any ratio.
Explanation: Mixture is a combination of pure substances in a ratio. Pure substances which are in its composition are called its components. Atom is the basic unit of life.
3. Matter can be divided into two types i.e. mixture and pure substance.
Explanation: On a bulk level, the matter is divided as a mixture and pure substances.
4. Which of the following is not a pure substance?
c) Sugar solution
Explanation: Copper, gold, and water are pure but sugar solution is a homogeneous mixture. Copper, gold, and water are made of the same elements but sugar solution contains sugar as solute and water as a solvent.
5. What are pure substances classified as?
a) Elements and Atoms
b) Molecules and Compounds
c) Elements and Compounds
d) Atoms and Molecules
Explanation: Elements and Compounds together make pure substances, as they have fixed compositions.
6. When two or more atoms of different elements combine with each other in a fixed ratio, the molecule of a ____ is obtained.
Explanation: Compound is a combination of two or more elements in a fixed ratio. Element is made up of the same atoms. Atom is the basic unit of life. Ion is either positively or negatively charged.
7. Compounds cannot be separated by chemical methods.
Explanation: Compounds cannot be separated simply by physical methods, but they need chemical methods because when its components are mixed they change their chemical formulae and combine with each other to form a new chemical formula, resulting in a compound.
8. Point out an example of a compound.
a) Sugar solution
Explanation: Ammonia is made up of nitrogen and hydrogen in a ratio of 1:3 by atoms. The sugar solution is a homogeneous mixture. Hydrogen and Sodium are elements.
9. Which among the three states of matter has a definite shape and size?
Explanation: Solids occupy particular and definite shape and size. Liquids and gases do not, as they occupy the container’s shape and size.
10. Water is a/an _______
c) Pure substance
Explanation: Water molecule consists of 2 Hydrogen and 1 Oxygen atoms. When two or more atoms of different elements combine with each other in a fixed ratio, the molecule of a compound is obtained.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 11.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 11 Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 11
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 11
- Take Chemistry - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10