This set of Hazardous Waste Management Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Landfill Disposal – Design and Construction”.
1. Which of the following is the most important variable in the construction of soil liners?
a) Type of compaction
Explanation: Soil water content, type of compaction, compactive effort, size of soil clods are important variables in the construction of soil liners.
2. Excavation of soil in a location for liner is known as ________ pit.
Explanation: Excavation of soil in a location for liner is known as borrow pit and excavated soil is referred to as borrow soil.
3. Bentonite is mixed when there is not enough clay available at a site to construct a soil liner.
Explanation: Bentonite is mixed when there is not enough clay available for liner, dry bentonite is mixed with the soil first, and water is added only after the mixing process is complete.
4. Which among the following is used as clay material for clay liner?
Explanation: Clay materials consists of varying proportions of hydrated aluminum silicates such as kaolinite, bentonite and montmorillonite.
5. What is the design permeability of the clay liner?
Explanation: The design permeability of the clay liner is 10-8 metre per second (m/s) and to avoid cracking of clay +4% wet of optimum moisture content is maintained.
6. PVC liners are suitable for landfills.
Explanation: Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) liners are generally suitable for the landfill since they are flexible.
7. Drainage pipes of leachate collection system is filled with ________
Explanation: The leachate collection system comprises a network of drainage pipes and is covered with a sand/gravel drainage layer.
8. What should be the slope percent between primary and secondary liners?
Explanation: 2% slope should be provided between primary and secondary liners with a slotting area of 100 cm2 per running meter of the pipe.
9. What is the formula for quantification of leachate generation from landfill?
a) I = P – P (CR/O) – AET +/- S
b) P = I – P (CR/O) – AET +/- S
c) I = S – P (CR/O) – AET +/- P
d) I = P – S (CR/O) – AET +/- Y
Explanation: I = P – P (CR/O) – AET +/- S where, I is Rate of Infiltration, P is Precipitation, CR/O is Coefficient of Runoff, AET is Actual Evapo-transpiration, S is Soil Moisture Content Retention Capacity.
10. The lateral leachate collection pipes shall slope towards ________ pipe.
Explanation: The lateral leachate collection pipes shall slope towards the main collection pipe and the main pipe shall slope towards the sump.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Hazardous Waste Management.
To practice all areas of Hazardous Waste Management, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Hazardous Waste Management
- Participate in Hazardous Waste Management Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Hazardous Waste Management
- Take Hazardous Waste Management Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10