This set of Hazardous Waste Management Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Regulations – SARA”.
1. When did SARA come into force?
Explanation: The Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) was passed on October 17, 1986.
2. Which of the following act does SARA amend?
Explanation: SARA amends the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) which has been passed by the U.S. Congress in 1980 to help solve the problems relating to hazardous waste sites.
3. SARA provides resources to _________ citizens for clean-up of the hazardous site.
Explanation: SARA provides residents of Georgia with the resources needed to clean up hazardous waste sites, also emergency plans which has to be followed in case of a dangerous substance release into the environment.
4. What initiated the passage SARA?
a) Shortage of funds for CERCLA
b) US Congress
c) Rise in import activities
d) Rise in export activities
Explanation: A shortage of funds for Superfund initiated the passage of SARA, as well as Bhopal gas tragedy in India, in which a gas leak at the U.S. possessed pesticide plant exposed lakhs of people to methyl isocyanate gas.
5. SARA legislation was passed after two years of the Bhopal incident.
Explanation: SARA comprises a tax on the chemical and petroleum industries. It mainly provides the federal government with the authority to respond directly to the releases of hazardous substances that could risk health or the environment.
6. Under SARA the ________ is responsible for risk assessment.
Explanation: Under SARA the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is responsible for assessing the degree of risk to human health and environment at sites on NPL.
7. Title III of SARA enhances __________
a) Emergency planning
b) Risk assessment
c) Chemical analysis
d) Pathway analysis
Explanation: EPCRA of 1986 which is known as SARA Title III, establishes emergency planning and reporting requirements for industry and government sectors and helps in risk management.
8. SARA is enforced by ________ in EPA.
Explanation: SARA is enforced by the Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER) under EPA. OSWER manages hazardous Superfund sites with both long-term and short-term clean-up remedial plans and reduces pollution.
9. An example of long-term regulation by SARA is the Superfund Remedial Response Program.
Explanation: Under Superfund Remedial Response Program site maintenance is evaluated after clean-up is conducted, and is carried until the site is removed from the NPL.
10. The Emergency Response and Removal Program was developed to _________
a) Immediate removal of HW
b) Clean-up of HW
c) Planned removal of HW
d) Intermediate removal of HW
Explanation: The Emergency Response and Removal Program was developed to immediately remove the hazardous substances from a public site and to prevent the extension of hazardous substances and oil into the surrounding environment.
11. GECAP under SARA provides __________
b) Technical assistance
Explanation: GECAP program provides technical assistance to environmental concerns such as oil storage and spill prevention, problems relating to industrial wastewater, solid waste management techniques, and hazardous waste management.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Hazardous Waste Management.
To practice all areas of Hazardous Waste Management, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Hazardous Waste Management
- Participate in Hazardous Waste Management Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Hazardous Waste Management
- Take Hazardous Waste Management Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Hazardous Waste Management Books
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Hazardous Waste Management Internship
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship