This set of Hazardous Waste Management Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Texas City Disaster”.
1. When did Texas City disaster occur?
Explanation: Texas City disaster was an industrial accident, occurred on April 26, 1947, in port of Texas.
2. What is the name of ship where the disaster occurred?
Explanation: Smoke was spotted in the cargo hold of the Grandcamp, which had tons of ammonium nitrate.
3. What time did Grandcamp exploded?
a) 6 a.m.
b) 7 a.m.
c) 8 a.m.
d) 9 a.m.
Explanation: The explosion took place at 9:12 a.m. and ammonium nitrate reacted with steam to produce nitrogen dioxide fumes.
4. More than 5,000 people were injured in Texas City disaster. True or False.
Explanation: It is estimated that, after the event of disaster, more than 5,000 people were injured, with 1,784 admitted to 21 area hospitals.
5. What is the expenditures for industrial reconstruction after the disaster?
a) $200 million
b) $300 million
c) $100 million
d) $400 million
Explanation: The expenditures for industrial reconstruction after the disaster is estimated to be $100 million dollars i.e. $1.07 billion in today’s terms.
6. Lawsuits were filed under ____ act.
Explanation: Many lawsuits were filed against the company under Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).
7. Which was the other ship exploded due to Grandcamp’s explosion?
a) S.S Highflyer
Explanation: The S.S. High Flyer was owned and operated by Lykes Bros. Steamship Co., Inc. The ship was down to repairs and could not be moved on time to prevent disaster.
8. S.S Highflyer cargo had _____ tons of sulphur.
Explanation: The S.S Highflyer cargo had 2000 tons of sulfur loaded and 961 tons of ammonium nitrate in paper bags.
9. When was the case, Dalehite v. United States decided?
Explanation: The case Dalehite v. United States, was decided in 1953 by the Supreme Court, victims lost the lawsuit but 1955 bill provided $17 million for claimants.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Hazardous Waste Management.
To practice all areas of Hazardous Waste Management, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.