This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “General Features of Highway Construction”.
1. What is the first step in highway construction after paper work?
c) Bill of quantities
Explanation: The first step after the office work in the highway design is surveying, after surveying the design is approved.
2. The design of the highway should satisfy __________
a) Structural requirement
b) Drainage system
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: The design of highway should satisfy economy, drainage and structural requirement.
3. The economical highway can be achieved by __________
a) Cheap aggregate
b) Good quality aggregate
c) Good aggregate and less transport cost
d) More transport cost and less quality aggregate
Explanation: The maximum cost of aggregate doesn’t affect the highway cost, it is the transport cost which has a greater effect.
4. The embankment is constructed by using __________
b) Fly ash
Explanation: The soil embankment is constructed by using the locally available soil, if not satisfied we can replace it by stronger soils.
5. The embankment construction should always be __________
a) Above MSL
b) At MSL
c) Above HFL
d) below MSL
Explanation: The embankment should always be constructed above HFL, as it may effect the pavement when floods occur if laid above MSL.
6. The part of pavement left over for drainage is called __________
a) Sub base
Explanation: The part which is left over for the water to drain off is called as shoulder, it may be paved or unpaved.
7. The raise of ground water reduces the capacity by __________
Explanation: If the ground water raises to ground level, then the bearing capacity of the soil sub grade reduces to 50%.
8. Embankment are laid __________
a) Above ground level
b) Below ground level
c) 3.0 m above ground level
d) 5.0m above foundation level
Explanation: Most of the embankments are laid below the ground level by cutting and then filling.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.