This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Stresses in Rigid Pavements”.
1. What are the major stresses in CC pavement?
a) Wheel load stress
b) Warping stress
c) Wheel load and warping stress
d) Frictional stress
Explanation: The major stress is caused due to wheel load and temperature, remaining all are the minor stresses.
2. What is the unit of ‘K’?
Explanation: The modulus of sub grade reaction is the pressure per deflection unit, it was obtained by Westrergaard for deflection analysis.
3. The deflection in Westergaard analysis is __________
Explanation: The deflection is assumed as 0.125 in Westergaard analysis, it is constant value for the deflection for modulus of sub grade reaction.
4. The Poisson’s ratio of concrete is __________
Explanation: The Poisson’s ratio of concrete is mostly assumed as 0.15 however it may lie between 0.13 and 0.15.
5. The deflection of slab is dependent on __________
a) Flexural strength
b) Compressive strength
c) Tensile strength
Explanation: The deflection is dependent on the flexural strength of the material on how it breaks.
6. The stiffness of slab mainly depends on __________
a) Radius of wheel
b) Radius of rotary
c) Radius of relative pavement
d) Radius of relative pavement
Explanation: The radius of relative stiffness mainly depends on the soil sub grade reaction.
7. If any load is placed at interior away from all edges then it is called __________
a) Edge loading
b) Far edge loading
c) Interior loading
d) Exterior loading
Explanation: The loading that takes place inside of the pavement away from all edges is called as interior loading.
8. The loading which does not exist is __________
Explanation: The loading that doesn’t exist is exterior loading because a load cannot be outside of pavement.
9. The distance at which the crack is developed is given by __________
a) 2.58 al
Explanation: The distance is given by the equation 2.58al, where a is the radius of wheel distribution and l is radius of relative stiffness.
10. Warping stress coefficient charts were prepared by __________
Explanation: The charts were prepared by Bradbury, assuming it depends on seasonal coefficient and radius of relative stiffness.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.