This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Maintenance Problems on Hill Roads”.
1. Catch water drains, sloping drain, road side drains, catch pit and culverts are periodically cleared to prevent __________
b) Over flow of water
Explanation: All are drainage structures and they are maintained periodically to prevent overflow of water, landslide may cause earthquake and in hilly regions there will be a snowfall but primary purpose is to prevent overflow of water.
2. The preventive measure adopted in hill road don’t include __________
a) Stabilization of soil
b) Grass turf
c) Stone masonry
d) Brick masonry
Explanation: Stone masonry is advisable in hill road as, brick masonry is difficult and as brick joints consists of mortar, seepage may be a problem.
3. The problems in snowfall region, of snow is not cleared is overcome by __________
a) Hill markers
b) Snow markers
c) Traffic signal
d) Closing the road
Explanation: Mostly in peak snowfall region, the road is closed, but if it is extremely necessary then snow markers may be used.
4. The important structure constructed above the road with out impacting the load is called __________
Explanation: The gallery is a special type of structure which is used for the snow to slide without impacting the load, crown is the highest point, camber is used to prevent the drainage.
5. The frequent problem on the hill road is __________
c) Soil erosion
Explanation: All the problems are frequent, but landslide occur very frequently and special care should be taken for landslide.
6. The landslide denotes __________
a) Downward and upward movement of hill slope material
b) Disintegration of rocks
c) Earthquake on hill
d) Breaking of rock
Explanation: The landslides are a problem which is caused due to earthquake and landslide ultimately leading to the disintegration of rocks and they cause upward and downward movement.
7. The landslide doesn’t take place due to __________
Explanation: The landslides take place only due to sliding, flowing and falling.
8. The failure of landslide is classified into how many types?
Explanation: The landslides are classified as slides, falls, flows and complex slides.
9. The failure due to shear occurs in __________
d) Complex slides
Explanation: In slides the movement is caused due to shear failure along one or several surfaces, in complex slides the failure occurs from a combination of slides and falls or slides and flow.
10. The measure not advisable to prevent landslide is __________
a) Soil nailing
b) Geo synthetic fibre
c) Soil stabilization by any method
d) Retaining wall
Explanation: The soil stabilization should not be done by any method, it depends on many factors like soil, slope stability and other factors.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!