This set of Highway Engineering Questions and Answers for Entrance exams focuses on “Structural Evaluation of Flexible Pavements and Strengthening by Overlay – 2”.
1. The slender beam used in benkleman beam method is ___________
a) 3.5 m
b) 3.66 m
c) 3.8 m
d) 3.7 m
Explanation: The slender beam dimension in length is 3.66 m, which is hinged to a datum frame.
2. The least count of the small needle in benkleman beam test is ___________
a) 0.5 mm
b) 1.0 mm
c) 1.5 mm
d) 2.0 mm
Explanation: The least count for the large needle of dial gauge is 0.01 mm and small gauge is 2.0 mm.
3. The tyre pressure in benkleman beam method should be inflated to (in kg/cm2).
Explanation: The plates should be inflated to a pressure of 5.6 kg/cm2, use of tyres with tubes and rib tread is recommended.
4. Wheel load distribution in one side of benkleman beam test is ___________
a) 1080 kg
b) 2880 kg
c) 4085 kg
d) 8170 kg
Explanation: The total load is 8170 kg, and it is taken as 4085 kg on one side because it is considered as a single axle.
5. The clear space between the two tyres of the dual wheels should be ___________
a) 20 mm
b) 25 mm
c) 27.5 mm
d) 30 mm
Explanation: The spacing is ideally considered between 30 and 40 mm, it is an ideal requirement for two tyres of the dual wheels, it may even be less or more.
6. The pavement whose rut depth is less than 10 mm is classified as ___________
b) Very poor
Explanation: The classification for no cracking or rut depth less than 10 mm is good, if it exceeds 10 mm they are fair, poor and very poor depending on the degree of ruts.
7. The test pits are maximum dug at a distance of ___________
a) 150 m
b) 250 m
c) 300 m
d) 500 m
Explanation: The test pits are dug from a distance of 250 to a maximum distance of 500 mm.
8. The minimum length of a sub stretch is ___________
a) 0.5 km
b) 1.0 km
c) 1.5 km
d) 2.0 km
Explanation: The minimum length of a sub stretch is taken as 1.0 km, for longer pavement distances.
9. The depth of the hole dug for measuring of temperature is ___________
a) 45 mm
b) 55 mm
c) 65 mm
d) 75 mm
Explanation: The minimum depth of hole is 45 mm and diameter is 10 mm.
10. The quantity of soil collected in benkleman beam method is ___________
a) 10 g
b) 100 g
c) 1000 g
d) 2000 g
Explanation: The minimum quantity of soil collected is 100 g for checking the plasticity index of soil.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering for Entrance exams, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.