This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Excavation of Earth”.
1. The removal of earth for highway formation is __________
b) Sub grade
Explanation: The process of removal of earth for construction is called excavation, it may be done by manual or machine.
2. The best time to remove soil is during __________
c) Rainy season
d) During storm
Explanation: The best time to remove soil is during summer, if it is removed in winter there may be chances of rain so it’s better to remove in summer.
3. What is the equipment used for short haul distance of 100 m?
c) Power shovel
Explanation: The bulldozer is versatile earth equipment used for a short distance of 100m if it exceeds 100 m other equipment can also be used.
4. The blade angle of bulldozer is usually __________
Explanation: The blade angle of a bulldozer is usually kept perpendicular, which is always 90 degrees to the soil.
5. The precise control of excavation is possible by __________
Explanation: The precise control of the excavation is possible by scrapper, but they can’t be used for greater depth.
6. The boom is supported by __________
b) Dipper stick
c) Hoist line
Explanation: The hoist line gives the support to boom which is attached to the cab, cab is the place where controls are placed and boom is the support.
7. Dragline cannot excavate __________
a) Soft rocks
b) Black cotton soil
d) Stiff material
Explanation: The dragline can’t exert high pressure and remove stiff materials, it can remove only soft rocks.
8. The stiff materials can be excavated by __________
c) Power shovel
Explanation: How is one equipment which can exert high tooth pressure and excavate stiff materials from the ground.
9. The equipment having a bucket is?
b) Clam shell
Explanation: A clam shell consists of a bucket that is used to carry soil or any other material from a greater depth.
10. The compaction of sand is done by __________
Explanation: The jetting of the sand cannot be done by using roller or vibrator, it requires effective techniques like jetting and pounding with water.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!