This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Hydraulic Design”.
1. The side drains and partially filled culverts are designed on the basis of ___________
a) Open channel flow
b) Hydrological analysis
c) Pavement geometry
d) Run off
Explanation: The partially filled culverts and side drains are designed on the basis of the open channel flow.
2. The continuity equation is given by __________
Explanation: The continuity equation is given by Q=AV, where A is the area and v is the allowable velocity.
3. The desirable velocity for sand and silt are __________
b) 0.5 m/second
c) 0.7 m/second
d) 0.9 m/second
Explanation: The desirable velocity for the silt and sand is 0.3 to 0.5 m/second.
4. The discharge in m3/sec for a surface drainage of 100 m2 and a velocity of 5 m/second is?
5. The roughness coefficient is assumed in __________
a) Chezys formula
b) Manning’s formula
c) Heigen poiuselles equation
d) Continuity equation
Explanation: The roughness coefficient is a constant for different types of materials, and it is assumed in Manning’s formula.
6. The hydraulic radius is given by __________
Explanation: The hydraulic radius is the ratio of wetted area and wetted perimeter.
7. What is the maximum value of Manning’s coefficient for soil with heavy vegetation?
Explanation: The maximum value of the Manning’s coefficient for the soil with heavy vegetation is 0.1.
8. The total time for inlet flow and flow along the drain is given by __________
Explanation: The total time duration of the inlet flow and flow of the drainage is the sum of both the times.
9. If the depth of a trapezoidal section is 0.50 m and free board is 0.15 m, then the total depth is?
a) 0.35 m
b) 0.65 m
c) 0.50 m
d) 0.15 m
Explanation: The total depth is the sum of both the depth and free board provided
10. The time of flow in minutes for a longitudinal drain of 400 m and with a velocity of 0.8 m/sec is?
Explanation: The time of flow=L/V
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Highway Engineering Internship
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Buy Highway Engineering Books