This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Distresses in Rigid Pavements and Maintenance Measures – 1”.
1. The pavement design in olden days was based on ___________
a) Mix design
b) Proportion of weight
d) Proportion of weight or volume
Explanation: The olden days pavement was designed based on the proportion of weight or volume.
2. The thickness of the pavement in olden days was ___________
a) 60 mm
b) 75 mm
c) 100 mm
d) 200 mm
Explanation: The usual thickness of the pavement in olden days were around 100 to 150 mm, due to lack of technology they used such big sizes.
3. The cement production in India increased by the year.
Explanation: During the 1990’s the cement gained a rapid growth in production, before the 1990 period cement was imported.
4. The common types of failure in the cement slabs don’t include ___________
a) Mud pumping
b) Development of structural cracks
c) Spalling of joints
Explanation: Erosion of the soil takes place only if there is heavy rain and of the soil is not strong enough.
5. The design thickness of the CC slab of important highway with heavy traffic is?
a) 250 mm
b) 125 mm
c) 275 mm
d) 300 mm
Explanation: The range of the pavement thickness for the heavy traffic is 280 to 320 mm, of such heavy thickness is not provided then pavement will fail.
6. The process of mud or soil being ejected out through the joints and edges of the CC pavements is called ___________
a) Mud pumping
Explanation: The mud pumping is a process in which the soil is pumped out of the pavement edges.
7. The factor which doesn’t initiate mud is?
a) Weak CC pavement
b) Strong CC pavement
c) Ineffective drainage
d) CC pavement directly over soil
Explanation: The mud pumping is initiated mainly due to high deflection, ineffective drainage and cc pavement laid on soil.
8. The diameter of the holes in the mud jacking process is?
a) 10 mm
b) 15 mm
c) 20 mm
d) 30 mm
Explanation: The diameter of holes used for cement jacking is around 30 mm to 50 mm, it may be a minimum of 30 mm and maximum of 50 mm.
9. If a part of cement mortar gets detached from the surface, exposing the coarse aggregate which results in a rough surface, then it is called ___________
b) Mud pumping
c) Mud jacking
Explanation: The scaling of cement concrete occurs if a part of the cement mortar gets peeled off and exposes the coarse aggregate.
10. The factor not related to scaling of the concrete is ___________
a) Mix deficiency
b) Higher water cement ratio
c) Good quality of aggregate
d) Chemical impurities
Explanation: If the aggregate quality is good, then mix design will not have any defects, so good quality of aggregate can help reduce scaling.
11. The ravelling occurs due to ___________
d) Reaction with water
Explanation: The ravelling occurs mainly due to the abrasion of the aggregate, particularly when fine shrinkage cracks occur.
12. The CC pavement is considered good quality of the unevenness index in mm/km is less than ___________
Explanation: If the unevenness index calculated by the bump integrator is less than 2200, then the pavement quality is good.
13. The CC pavement should be construed again if ravelling depth is more than ___________
a) 10 mm
b) 15 mm
c) 20 mm
d) 25 mm
Explanation: The CC pavement ravelling depth should not exceed 25 m, if exceeded 25 m then it should be constructed again.
14. The poly sulphide sealant perform well uptown?
a) 5 years
b) 7 years
c) 10 years
d) 15 years
Explanation: The poly sulphide sealant can perform well up to 10 years and it may even last more if maintained well.
15. The shrinkage cracks have a length of ___________
a) 0.1 m
b) 0.2 m
c) 0.4 m
d) 1.0 m
Explanation: The shrinkage cracks usually have a length of 0.3 m to 0.6 m and extend to a depth of 20 to 30 mm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!