This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Construction of Hill Roads”.
1. The number of steps involved in the construction of hill roads are __________
Explanation: The construction of hill road includes trace cut, jungle clearance, earth work excavation and rock cutting.
2. The hard rock is permitted to over hang the road forming a __________
a) Half tunnel
b) Full tunnel
c) 3/4 tunnel
d) 1/4 tunnel
Explanation: If the rock strata slopes down into the hill side, then the hard rock is permitted to over hang the road forming half a tunnel.
3. Where there is insufficient time for blasting the alternative method is?
a) Cliff gallery
d) Both cliff gallery and cradle
Explanation: The blasting may not be useful every time, and if there is no sufficient time, then cradles and cliff galleries are alternatives.
4. What is the most important structure in a hill road?
a) Retaining wall
d) Security force
Explanation: The retaining wall is the most important structure in a hill road as it provides adequate stability.
5. The best type of material for retaining wall is __________
b) Brick masonry
c) Stone masonry
Explanation: The best type of material for the retaining wall is stone masonry as it permits the drainage to drain off easily.
6. The general minimum width adopted for the retaining wall is __________
a) 0.3 m
b) 0.45 m
c) 0.6 m
d) 0.9 m
Explanation: The minimum width of the retaining wall adopted is 0.45 m, and as a thumb rule we use 0.5h to obtain the width of the retaining wall, but never less than 0.45 m.
7. The typical retaining wall is less than __________
a) 6 m
b) 5 m
c) 4 m
d) 3 m
Explanation: The height of a typical retaining wall may be greater than 6 m, but only for special purpose, the height of the retaining wall usually never exceeds 6 m.
8. The width of the retaining wall foundation is taken as __________
a) 0.4h+0.3 m
b) 0.3h+0.3 m
c) 0.2h+0.3 m
d) 0.1h+ 0.3 m
Explanation: The width of the retaining wall foundation is given by 0.4h+0.3, where h is the height of the retaining wall and 0.3 is the width at top.
9. The foundation bed is provided with a downward slope of __________ towards the hill side.
a) 1 in 6
b) 1 in 5
c) 1 in 3
d) 1 in 1
Explanation: The foundation bed is provided with a slope of 1 in 6 or 1 in 4 towards the hill side.
10. The thickness of the pitching done by stone masonry to avoid erosion due to water is?
a) 0.1 m
b) 0.3 m
c) 1.0 m
d) 1.5 m
Explanation: The embankment slopes are normally protected with a rough stone pitching of about 0.3 m, to avoid erosion due to water flow.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10