This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Highway Alignment”.
1. The changes in gradient and vertical curve are covered under which type of alignment?
a) Horizontal alignment
b) Vertical alignment
c) Geometric design
d) Highway specifications
Explanation: The changes in gradient and vertical curves are covered under the vertical alignment, whereas the remaining three are covered under horizontal alignment.
2. The improper alignment of road will not result in __________
a) Increase in construction cost
b) Increase in maintenance cost
c) Increase of population
d) Increase in accidents
Explanation: The increase of population does not depend on the alignment of the road, whereas improper construction and maintenance lead to accidents.
3. The basic requirement of alignment should be __________
d) Short, easy, safe and economical
Explanation: The alignment of the road should be short, safe, easy and economical for users and engineers.
4. The economical option during the construction of a road around a hill is __________
a) Cut the hill
b) Provide a tunnel
c) Provide a road around the hill
d) Look for other alternative approaches
Explanation: The most economical option is to provide a road around the hill. In this alternative approach is not advisable as it has to pass either through the hill or nearby the hill.
5. Obligatory points through which the alignment should not pass are __________
a) Religious structure and costly structures
b) Intermediate towns
c) Important cities
d) Important places of worship
Explanation: The obligatory points through which alignment should not pas include religious structures and costly structures because destroying them would require a lot of compensation.
6. The desire lines are prepared for the study of __________
a) Traffic flow
b) Origin and destination
c) Growth of traffic in the future
d) Anticipated traffic flow
Explanation: The desire lines are lines which study the traffic flow from origin and destination.
7. Which of the following types of roads are most preferred for highways?
a) Cement concrete roads
b) Gravel roads
c) Bituminous roads
d) Unpaved surfaces
Explanation: The most preferred type of road is bituminous roads. They are cheap for initial construction when compared to other types of surfaced roads.
8. The stability of slopes is considered while designing?
a) National highway
b) State highway
c) Hill roads
d) District roads
Explanation: The slope stability is important during the design of hill roads, because it may have a danger of landslides.
9. The coefficient of lateral friction as recommended by IRC is __________
Explanation: The coefficient of lateral friction recommended by IRC is 0.15 and it lies between 0.3-0.4 for longitudinal friction.
10. The resisting length should be kept __________
c) Depends on gradient
d) Depends on rise and fall
Explanation: The resisting length should be kept as low as possible for gradient purposes, if it is maximum then there will be a problem with the gradient.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.