This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on ” Traffic Characteristics”.
1. The difference in between the set of front axle and rear axle while negotiating a horizontal curve is called ___________
a) Psychological widening
b) Off tracking
Explanation: Whenever a four wheeled vehicle such as bus or truck negotiates the horizontal curve then there is a centrifugal force induced and a difference is formed between front and rear axle which is called as off tracking.
2. A wheel base of 6.5m negotiates a 35m curve find the off tracking?
Explanation: Off tracking=l2/2R
3. In a braking test, a vehicle was moving with a speed of 45kmph and was stopped by applying brakes, the skid marks were 10.0m in length. Determine the skid resistance.
Braking distance = u2/2gf
4. The brake efficiency in the braking test is assumed as ___________
Explanation: In the braking test the wheels are assumed to be fully locked and the efficiency is assumed as 100%.
5. Gross weight, axle and wheel loads of vehicle govern the ___________
a) Width of pavement
b) Thickness of pavement
c) Structural design of pavement and cross drainage structures
d) Traffic junctions
Explanation: The weight of the vehicle and wheel loads usually recommended by IRC is used for the design of pavements and cross drainage structures.
6. How many types of factors affect traffic characteristics?
Explanation: The factors affecting traffic characteristics are physical, mental, environmental and psychological.
7. The hearing, visibility and reaction time are covered in which type of factors?
Explanation: The visibility, hearing and reaction time are related to the physical conditions of the road, they are covered under physical type.
8. An intelligent driver who consumed alcohol will have a chance of ___________
a) Increased alertness
b) Increase in reaction time
c) Increase in speed
d) Increase in judgment
Explanation: A person who is extremely intelligent if he consumes alcohol, then there is a chance of losing his control over mind temporarily and will have an increase in reaction time.
9. The pollutant mostly released by automobiles is ___________
Explanation: The pollutant mostly released by automobiles is CO, when it is mixed with haemoglobin it forms carboxyhaemoglobin which is very dangerous for health.
10. The most likely cause of accidents is ___________
a) Impatience in driving
b) Slow speed of vehicle
c) Pedestrians crossing the road
d) Cattle crossing the road
Explanation: The most likely cause in this case is impatience in driving as it may lead to anxiety and fear; this mostly affects the user psychologically.
11. The width recommended by IRC for all type of vehicles is ___________
Explanation: IRC recommends a width of 2.5m for any type of vehicle.
12. The stability of a vehicle is influenced by ___________
a) Width of wheel base only
b) Width of wheel base and height of gravity
c) Height of gravity only
d) Length of vehicle only
Explanation: The stability of a vehicle is influenced greatly by width of wheel base and height of center of gravity is useful near horizontal curves.
13. The height of the vehicle mainly influences?
a) Width of pavement
b) Length of curve
c) Clearance under structures
d) Design velocity
Explanation: The clearance of structures like over bridges and under bridges mainly depends on the height of the vehicle.
14. The minimum number of parameters needed to measure brake efficiency is?
Explanation: The parameters required for measuring brake efficiency are initial speed; braking distance and actual duration of braking application in these three parameters any two of them are needed.
15. If the acceleration of the vehicle is 6.17m/sec2 then the average skid resistance is?
Explanation: The average skid resistance f=a/g
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!