This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Highway Cross Section Elements – 1”.
1. The braking efficiency mainly depends on ___________
a) Sight distance
b) PIEV theory
d) Length of the curve
Explanation: The braking efficiency mainly depends on friction and speed of the vehicle, if the speed of vehicle is more, then braking efficiency will be less.
2. The braking efficiency for a vehicle moving with a speed of 18kmph, having a lag distance of 14m and coefficient of longitudinal friction is 0.36.
Explanation: Braking efficiency=100*f’/f
3. If the longitude coefficient of friction is 0.4, then the resultant retardation in m/sec2 as per IRC will be ___________
Explanation: The deceleration of the vehicle mainly depends on the speed of the vehicle and coefficient of friction; however IRC has calculated the average value is 3.93 m/sec2 from equations of motion.
4. The unevenness index for a good pavement surface of high speed should be ___________
Explanation: The unevenness index for a good pavement surface should be kept as low as possible, because they may cause discomfort to passengers and increase the rate of accidents.
5. If the camber is x%, then cross slope is ___________
Explanation: The cross slope is generally expressed in n in 100 terms, so the cross slope is X/100.
6. The camber required depends on ___________
a) Type of pavement
c) Type of pavement and rainfall
d) Rainfall characteristics
Explanation: The camber to be provided changes depending on the type of rainfall and the type of pavement surface.
7. The minimum camber required in heavy rainfall area for bituminous roads as per IRC is ___________
Explanation: The minimum camber to be provided in heavy rainfall areas is 2.5%. If there is heavy flood then provision of this camber will be sufficient to drain of flood water.
8. The camber is not provided in which of the following shape?
c) Combination of straight and parabolic
Explanation: The camber is a raised portion, it has to be either straight or parabolic no other shape of camber is possible.
9. The rise of crown for pavement of 7m wide having 1 in 50 slopes with respect to edges is ___________
Explanation: Width of pavement=7m
Rise of crown=7/2*1/50=7/100=0.07.
10. The equation of parabolic camber is given by ___________
Explanation: The general equation is expressed as y=x2/a, where a=nw/2 for a pavement width of w and cross slope of 1 in n.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.