This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Construction of Flexible Pavements”.
1. The loss with sodium sulphate cycles for aggregate used for bitumen is __________
a) Less than 12%
b) Less than 15%
c) Less than 16%
d) Less than 20%
Explanation: The loss of sodium sulphate with cycles should be less than 12% for aggregates used in bitumen binder.
2. How many kg of binder is applied for 10m2 area?
a) 68 kg
b) 71 kg
c) 82 kg
d) 93 kg
Explanation: The minimum amount of binder to be applied depends on the thickness of the bitumen layer and it is 68 kg for 10 m2 area.
3. Built up spray grout consists of __________
a) One layer
b) Two layers
c) Three layers
d) Indefinite layers
Explanation: Built up spray grout consists of two layers with crushed aggregate and bituminous binders.
4. The stripping of aggregate should be less than __________
Explanation: IRC recommends a value of 25% for aggregates to be used in highway construction.
5. The camber is checked at every interval of __________
a) 10 m
b) 20 m
c) 30 m
d) 40 m
Explanation: The highway cambers should be checked at every interval of 10 m for every 10 metre square area.
6. What is the minimum thickness used in bituminous macadam?
a) 25 mm
b) 50 mm
c) 75 mm
d) 100 mm
Explanation: The pavement used in bituminous Macadam is usually of a thickness of 50mm and maximum is 100 mm.
7. The interface bond between the existing pavement and new pavement is provided by __________
a) Tack coat
b) Prime coat
Explanation: The interface between the existing pavement and new pavement can be provided by using tack coat.
8. The spreading test performed on bitumen can be checked on metal plates of dimensions is?
Explanation: The test can be performed by metal plates of 200*200mm placed at 10m intervals.
9. The water sensitivity of aggregates should retain __________
a) 75% of tensile strength
b) 80% of tensile strength
c) 95% of tensile strength
d) 100% of tensile strength
Explanation: The water sensitivity for aggregates used should retain 80% of tensile strength.
10. The polished stone value for aggregate of surface course should be more than __________
Explanation: The polished stone value required for the surface of aggregate is more than 55, it depends on the type of stone used.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Highway Engineering Internship
- Buy Highway Engineering Books
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship