This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Traffic Engineering Studies and Analysis – 1”.
1. What is the first stage in traffic engineering studies?
a) Traffic volume studies
b) Spot speed studies
c) Speed and delay studies
d) Origin and destination studies
Explanation: The first step in traffic engineering studies is traffic volume studies, which are carried out to understand the traffic characteristics.
2. The traffic volume is usually expressed in __________
Explanation: In India the traffic is heterogeneous so there are many types of vehicles, so every vehicle is expressed with the same unit PCU which means passenger car unit.
3. The number of vehicles that pass through a transverse line of road at a given time in a specified direction is called __________
a) Traffic studies
b) Traffic flow
c) Traffic origin
d) Traffic destination
Explanation: The number of vehicles that pass through a transverse line of road at a given time in a specified direction is called as traffic flow or traffic volume expressed in PCU.
4. HCV stands for __________
a) Heavy commercial vehicle
b) Heavy cash vehicle
c) Heavy consolidated vehicle
d) Hard commercial vehicle
Explanation: HCV stands for heavy commercial vehicle which includes trucks and buses.
5. The traffic flow is __________
c) Static and dynamic
d) May be static or dynamic
Explanation: The traffic flow on the roads is dynamic it changes with year, month and season. It also depends on time daily.
6. What is the first objective of traffic volume studies?
a) To decide priority for improvement of roads
b) For geometric design
c) For computing roadway capacity
d) To plan traffic operation
Explanation: The first objective of the traffic volume studies is to decide priority for improvement of roads like relaying of roads, widening of roads and other works.
7. Pedestrian data is used for planning __________
b) Sidewalks and cross-walks
Explanation: The pedestrian data is used for planning of sidewalks, cross walks, subways and foot-over bridges.
8. Which of the following method is more accurate for traffic analysis?
a) Manual count
b) Automatic count
c) Average of manual and automatic
d) Past records
Explanation: The automatic count is more accurate as it is done for 24 hours by machine; it is more reliable than manual counting.
9. The outgoing and incoming traffic are counted at __________
a) Traffic intersections
c) Urban roads
d) Traffic symbols
Explanation: The outgoing and incoming traffic are usually counted at traffic intersections as they are convenient to count.
10. The traffic that is prepared based on 365 days of the year is called?
a) Yearly traffic
b) Annual average daily traffic
c) Average daily traffic
d) Average yearly traffic
Explanation: The traffic that is prepared based on 365 days of the year is called as AADT or annual average daily traffic.
11. The charts showing the variation of the traffic is called __________
a) Traffic chart
b) Trend chart
c) Variation chart
d) Traffic flow maps
Explanation: The charts showing the variation of the traffic are called as variation charts which show the variation in day, time, year and season.
12. The traffic design in India is based on __________
a) 10th hourly volume
b) 20th hourly volume
c) 30th hourly volume
d) 45th hourly volume
Explanation: In India the traffic design is based on 30th hourly volume which is considered as peak factor for traffic design.
13. The 5 minute count at a traffic junction is 15 find the hourly count?
Explanation: The hourly count = 15*12
14. If the traffic volume count on a road is 150 and daily factor is 1.1 and seasonal factor is 1.2 then ADT is __________
Explanation: ADT= Traffic volume*D.F*S.F
15. The ratio of seven day average for 24 hours and 24 hours count on any particular day is __________
a) Daily factor
b) Seasonal factor
c) Annual factor
d) Weekly factor
Explanation: The ratio of seven day average for 24 hours and 24 hours count on any particular day is called a daily factor.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10