This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Bituminous Paving Mixes”.
1. Which layer of pavement should withstand stress?
b) Sub grade
c) Sub base
Explanation: The stresses and wheel load are to be transferred from pavement surface course to the soil sub grade, automatically the remaining three layers with stand the stress.
2. The surface of bitumen should be __________
c) Sufficient enough to resist friction
d) Very smooth
Explanation: The surface of bitumen should neither be smooth nor rough, it should have adequate frictional resistance.
3. The DBM is used in __________
a) Local streets
b) Rural roads
d) Concrete bridges
Explanation: The DBM is a high quality bitumen mix used in highways and expressways, but they should fulfill some requirements to be used.
4. The filler material should pass from __________
Explanation: The filler material should have 85 to 100 percent passing from 0.075mm sieve, then only it can be used in highway and express way.
5. Rutting may be avoided by __________
a) Good compaction
b) Good aggregate
c) Good filler
d) Good workmanship
Explanation: The rutting is a problem caused in summer which can be avoided by using good aggregate, good filler and good compaction may not be enough, but good aggregate with good workmanship will be sufficient to avoid rutting.
6. Bleeding may be avoided by __________
a) Water voids
b) Air voids
d) Water content
Explanation: The bleeding may be avoided by providing sufficient air voids in the mix, as it is due to leakage of the water from the mix, if air voids are provided then first air escapes and then the water.
7. Which aggregate produce higher stability of mix?
b) Sharp sand
c) Rounded sand
d) Fly ash
Explanation: Sharp sand and crushed aggregate produce higher stable mix than gravel and round sand.
8. Maximum size of aggregate in base course is?
a) 25 mm
b) 50 mm
c) 40 mm
d) 30 mm
Explanation: The maximum size of aggregate in base course is 50mm, but 20 mm, 30 mm and 40 mm are also used extensively.
9. Maximum size of aggregate in surface course is?
Explanation: The maximum size in surface course of pavement is 18.5mm, as we move downward the size of the aggregate increases.
10. The specific gravity of bitumen lies between __________
a) 0.8 & 0.9
b) 0.95 & 0.97
c) 0.97 & 1.02
d) 1.02 & 1.05
Explanation: The specific gravity of bitumen is between 0.97&1.02 which depends on the grade of bitumen.
11. Volume of mineral aggregate is?
Explanation: The volume of aggregate is expressed as the sum of volume of voids and volume of bitumen.
12. The specified method for bitumen mix in India is?
b) Marshalls method
c) Hubbard method
d) Super paver mix method
Explanation: Marshall’s method has been specified by IRC and MORTH for bitumen mix design in India.
13. The temperature in Marshall’s method is __________
Explanation: The temperature in Marshall’s design is taken as 60 for bitumen mix design purposes.
14. Marshall stability determines __________
d) Grade of bitumen
Explanation: Marshall’s method is used to determine the flexibility of the given grade of bitumen.
15. The number of blows in Marshalls test specimen is?
Explanation: The number of blows to be given in Marshalls test specimen is 75 with a height drop of 457mm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.