This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Structural Evaluation of Flexible Pavements and Strengthening by Overlay – 1”.
1. The rate of structural deterioration of flexible pavement doesn’t depend on ___________
a) Stability of pavement
b) Magnitude of traffic
c) Growth rate
d) Climatic change
Explanation: The structural deterioration doesn’t depend on the climate, it is a functional change.
2. The objective of conducting structural evaluation studies doesn’t consist of ___________
a) To measure the present structural condition
b) Determine the drainage system
c) Estimate the residual life
d) Design of overlay
Explanation: The objective of conducting structural evaluation doesn’t consist of estimate for the drainage system.
3. The existing strength of pavement can be made stronger by ___________
a) Construction from sub grade
b) Construction from sub base
c) Construction from base
Explanation: The economic solution is to provide overlay for making the pavement stronger, the remaining methods may be used if the pavement is extremely damaged.
4. The repair cost is approximately how many times the maintenance cost?
a) Three times
b) Four times
c) Five times
d) Six times
Explanation: The maintenance cost if neglected for 3 years rises up to 6 times and even uptown 18 times if neglected for 5 years.
5. The structural evaluation studies are usually conducted for every?
a) 1 year
b) 2 years
c) 3 years
d) 4 years
Explanation: The structural evaluation studies are conducted for every 1 year to evaluate the pavement strength.
6. The difference between existing pavement and new pavement is ___________
Explanation: The difference between the thickness of the pavement between the existing pavement and overlaid pavement is the deficiency.
7. The Stability of flexible pavement structure depend on ___________
a) Sub grade
b) Degree of compaction
c) Drainage system
d) Water cement ratio
Explanation: The stability doesn’t depend directly on the water cement ratio but it depends on the design mix and quality of pavement layers.
8. The elastic recovery of deflection is called ___________
a) Rebound deflection
b) Elastic deflection
c) Rigid deflection
d) Semi rigid deflection
Explanation: The elastic recovery of the pavement is considered as a rebound deflection if it doesn’t recover it is a failure.
9. The benkleman beam method was developed by ___________
Explanation: The benkleman beam method was designed by CGRA and followed in India. NHAI still follow this method for overlay.
10. The structural evaluation can’t be evaluated by ___________
b) Road rater
d) Bump integrator
Explanation: Bump integrator is not a pavement evaluation method, it is an instrument used for the measurement of roughness.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!