This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Structural Evaluation of Flexible Pavements and Strengthening by Overlay – 1”.
1. The rate of structural deterioration of flexible pavement doesn’t depend on ___________
a) Stability of pavement
b) Magnitude of traffic
c) Growth rate
d) Climatic change
Explanation: The structural deterioration doesn’t depend on the climate, it is a functional change.
2. The objective of conducting structural evaluation studies doesn’t consist of ___________
a) To measure the present structural condition
b) Determine the drainage system
c) Estimate the residual life
d) Design of overlay
Explanation: The objective of conducting structural evaluation doesn’t consist of estimate for the drainage system.
3. The existing strength of pavement can be made stronger by ___________
a) Construction from sub grade
b) Construction from sub base
c) Construction from base
Explanation: The economic solution is to provide overlay for making the pavement stronger, the remaining methods may be used if the pavement is extremely damaged.
4. The repair cost is approximately how many times the maintenance cost?
a) Three times
b) Four times
c) Five times
d) Six times
Explanation: The maintenance cost if neglected for 3 years rises up to 6 times and even uptown 18 times if neglected for 5 years.
5. The structural evaluation studies are usually conducted for every?
a) 1 year
b) 2 years
c) 3 years
d) 4 years
Explanation: The structural evaluation studies are conducted for every 1 year to evaluate the pavement strength.
6. The difference between existing pavement and new pavement is ___________
Explanation: The difference between the thickness of the pavement between the existing pavement and overlaid pavement is the deficiency.
7. The Stability of flexible pavement structure depends on ___________
a) Sub grade
b) Degree of compaction
c) Drainage system
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: The stability of flexible pavement structure depends on several factors, including the strength of the subgrade, the degree of compaction of the pavement layers, and the effectiveness of the drainage system. All these factors work together to ensure that the pavement structure can resist the effects of traffic loads, climate, and environmental conditions over time.
8. The elastic recovery of deflection is called ___________
a) Rebound deflection
b) Elastic deflection
c) Rigid deflection
d) Semi rigid deflection
Explanation: The elastic recovery of the pavement is considered as a rebound deflection if it doesn’t recover it is a failure.
9. The benkleman beam method was developed by ___________
Explanation: The benkleman beam method was designed by CGRA and followed in India. NHAI still follow this method for overlay.
10. The structural evaluation can’t be evaluated by ___________
b) Road rater
d) Bump integrator
Explanation: Bump integrator is not a pavement evaluation method, it is an instrument used for the measurement of roughness.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Highway Engineering Books
- Apply for Highway Engineering Internship
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship