This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Design of Horizontal Alignment – 1”.
1. The degree if curve is central angle subtended by an arc of length is?
Explanation: The relation between degree and radius of circular curve is RDπ/180=30.
2. The ratio between centrifugal force and weight of the vehicle is called ___________
a) Impact factor
b) Impact ratio
c) Centrifugal factor
d) Centrifugal impulse
Explanation: The relationship between centrifugal force and weight of the vehicle is called impact factor or centrifugal ratio.
3. Which of the following is equal to super elevation?
Explanation: The transverse inclination to the pavement surface is called as super elevation or cant banking which is equal to tanθ.
4. If the radius of a horizontal curve is 120m, then calculate the safe allowable speed.
Explanation: The safe allowable speed is Va = √(27.94R)
Va = √(27.94*120)
Va = 60kmph.
5. If the super elevation of the highway provided is zero, then the design speed of highway having a curve of 200m and coefficient of friction 0.10 is?
Explanation: The design velocity is given by V=√127Rf
6. The design speed on a highway is 60kmph; calculate the super elevation if radius of curve is 150m and coefficient of friction is 0.15.
7. The super elevation is calculated for ___________
a) 75% of design speed including friction
b) 80% of design speed neglecting friction
c) 75% of design speed neglecting friction
d) 80% of design speed including friction
Explanation: The super elevation is calculated for 75% of design speed neglecting the friction on the pavement.
8. If the super elevation is 0.07 and width of pavement is 7m then the raise of outer edge with respect to inner edge is ___________
Explanation: The raise of outer edge is given by
9. The ruling minimum radius in the curve is given by ___________
b) R=V’2/127 (e+f)
Explanation: The ruling minimum radius is calculated by using the minimum design speed provided by IRC.
10. The extra widening is the sum of ___________
a) Mechanical widening and psychological widening
b) Two times of mechanical widening
c) Two times of psychological widening
d) Mechanical widening – physical widening
Explanation: The extra widening is the sum of mechanical widening and physiological widening, the mechanical widening is done for the safety of vehicles and psychological widening is done for the comfort of passengers.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.