This set of Highway Engineering Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “Design of Horizontal Alignment – 2”.
1. The mechanical widening of a track is given by ___________
Explanation: The mechanical widening of track is given by nl2/2R where n is the number of tracks, l is the length of wheel base and R is the radius of track.
2. The length of wheel base usually considered in India is?
Explanation: The length of the wheel base may be assumed as 6.0m or 6.1m for vehicles if data is unknown, this value is considered for commercial vehicles.
3. The total off tracking of a vehicle having wheel base length as 6.1m and radius of curve 120m is?
Explanation: The total off tracking of a vehicle = l2/2R
4. The extra width required on two lane pavement for a radius of curve 100m as recommended by IRC is ___________
Explanation: IRC recommends a value of 0.9m for two lane pavement for radius of curve 100m, this value decreases with increase in the length of curve.
5. The mechanical widening of a curve is 1.5m, the curve is having a radius of 120m and design speed as 80kmph find the total widening on the curve.
Explanation: The total widening is the sum of mechanical widening and psychological widening,
Extra width required=1.5m + V/9.5√R
=1.5 + 80/9.5 √120
6. The most preferred type of transition curve by IRC for highway is ___________
b) Cubic parabola
Explanation: The most preferred type of transition curve by IRC for highway is parabola, for its ease of construction and other field work.
7. The minimum value of change of centrifugal acceleration is ___________
Explanation: The minimum value of change of centrifugal acceleration is 0.5 m/sec3 and the maximum value is 0.8m/sec3.
8. The rate of change of acceleration in m/sec3 for a design speed of 85kmph is ___________
Explanation: The rate of change of acceleration for a design speed of 85kmph is given by
9. In a steep terrain the radius of curve is 100m and the design speed is 80kmph then the length of transition curve will be ___________
Explanation: The length of the transition curve will be V2/R
10. The total shift of a transition curve is ___________
Explanation: The total shift of a transition curve is L2/24R, where L is the length of the transition curve and R is the radius of the curve.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering for Experienced people, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.