This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Importance of Highway Maintenance Works”.
1. The earth slopes and cuts get damaged due to __________
a) Rain cuts
Explanation: The embankment and earth slopes particularly during rainfall get heavily damaged due to the formation of cuts.
2. The erosion between shoulder and pavement leads to __________
b) Break down
c) Edge drop
d) Flat drop
Explanation: The erosion between the pavement and shoulder leads to the formation of the edge drop.
3. The deterioration rate is more in __________
a) Flexible pavements
b) Rigid pavements
d) Same in all
Explanation: Usually the deterioration rate of the pavement is more in flexible than rigid because it’s having a less design life.
4. How many types of deterioration can be found in pavements?
Explanation: The deterioration of the pavement is of 2 types, structural and functional, structural is related to design and functional is related to the maintenance aspects.
5. Which factor doesn’t affect physical deterioration?
Explanation: The population may surround near the pavement, but it is not going to affect the pavement.
6. Which of the following is a physical factor?
a) Formation of pot holes
b) Formation of unevenness
c) Freezing and thawing
d) Formation of ruts
Explanation: The freezing and thawing is a physical factor, whereas the remaining all are structural.
7. The road roughness is measured by __________
a) Bump integrator
b) Laser profile
c) Both bump integrator and laser
d) Overlay vehicle
Explanation: The road roughness can be measured by both bump integrator and laser, bump integrator is widely used whereas laser is used in advanced countries.
8. The uniform speed of bump integrator is __________
a) 10 Kmph
b) 15 Kmph
c) 25 Kmph
d) 30 Kmph
Explanation: The uniform speed of the bump integrator is 30 Kmph, considered to measure the unevenness.
9. The pavement rating of 3 is regarded as __________
c) Very good
Explanation: The rating of the pavement is considered from 0 to 5, as very poor, poor, good, very good and excellent.
10. The pavement surface value needing immediate attention is __________
Explanation: The pavement surface index value needing immediate attention is 2.5, if not taken any immediate action then pavement may fail.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10