This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Deterioration and Damages in Road Infrastructure”.
1. The damage can be caused to a well designed pavement in a hot region is by __________
Explanation: The surface may be not exposed to heat always, and there is no snowfall, only rain is a factor that will effect the strength.
2. The blockade of the longitudinal and cross drains leads to __________
a) Increase of water
b) Decrease of ground water
Explanation: The blocking of cross drainage and longitudinal drainage will lead to the stagnation of water.
3. The deterioration left unnoticed will lead to __________
a) Increase of cost
b) Increase of life span
c) Increase of initial cost
d) Decrease of material
Explanation: The cracks or any defects may lead to heavy damage if not noticed and cause more repair cost than initial cost.
4. The inadequate compaction of sub grade may lead to distress in __________
a) Flexible pavements
b) Rigid pavements
c) Both flexible and rigid
d) WBM roads
Explanation: The flexible and rigid pavement are laid on the soil subgrade so they are affected by distress.
5. Which of the following is a cause of distress in rigid pavement only?
a) Inadequate compaction
b) Inadequate drainage
c) Dowel bars
d) Defect in materials
Explanation: The dowel bars are the only materials used in the concrete roads and the remaining defects are found in the flexible pavement also.
6. The maintenance operations do not involve __________
a) Survey work
b) Assessment of road condition
d) Adopting the most appropriate steps
Explanation: The survey work is a factor, which is considered before the construction, the remaining steps are done before the construction.
7. The rate of growth of the deterioration is __________
Explanation: The rate of deterioration in the flexible pavement particularly is exponential curve, it doesn’t go linearly or parabolically.
8. The failure of the pavement which is not dependent on the design is __________
a) Inferior materials
b) Delay of compaction
d) Overloaded vehicles
Explanation: The loading of the vehicles can’t be estimated and it doesn’t depend on the design.
9. The distress in bituminous pavement due to ineffective drainage system develops during __________
Explanation: The deterioration rate is more than normal in the rainy season, and it may effect the drainage system.
10. The failure in settlement takes place due to the settlement of __________
b) Sub grade
c) Fill and Sub grade
Explanation: The deterioration in the settlement may take place due to the settlement of fill or sub grade or even both.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.