This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Cement Concrete Pavements”.
1. What is the most commonly used type of concrete pavement?
c) Fibre reinforced
Explanation: The most commonly used type is unreinforced, dowels and ties are not considered as reinforcements in slab.
2. The pavement is checked for __________
Explanation: The pavement is checked for flexure because it is the factor which leads to cracks.
3. What is the maintenance cost of rigid pavement when compared to the flexible pavement?
d) Depends on grade of concrete
Explanation: The cost of maintenance for rigid pavement is always less than that for flexible pavement.
4. The critical stresses affecting the reinforced pavement is __________
a) Heavy loading
b) Poor soil
c) Poor drainage
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: The extreme conditions are due to all the factors, but when they are combined the worst may occur.
5. The steel reinforcement is placed at __________
a) 1/2 of depth
b) 1/3 of depth
c) 1/4 of depth
d) 1/6 of depth
Explanation: The steel reinforcement is usually provided at half or a little more than half of the depth.
6. The excessive flexural stress can lead to __________
Explanation: The bending can resist a maximum flexural stress and if it exceeds it leads to cracks.
7. The CC slab can be constructed in how many methods?
Explanation: CC pavement can be constructed by using slip form paver and fixed aide forms, which are the two most commonly used methods.
8. The standard normal varaite in India is taken as __________
Explanation: The standard normal variate is taken as 1.65, for concrete in India, it varies from county to country.
9. The positive tolerance level of sub grade in surface for concrete pavement is __________
a) 20 mm
b) 25 mm
c) 30 mm
d) 35 mm
Explanation: The maximum positive tolerance level for concrete pavement is taken as + 20 mm and negative is – 25 mm.
10. The expansion joints do not consist of __________
a) Dowel bars
b) Joint filler
c) Joint sealer
d) Tack coat
Explanation: An expansion joint consists of dowel, joint filler and joint sealer, tack coat is used in bitumen surfaces.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.