This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Requirements and importance of Highway Drainage”.
1. The highway drainage requirement don’t include ______________
a) Effective drainage
b) Water entering the roadway
c) Sufficient longitudinal slope
d) Erosion free
Explanation: The water should not enter the roadway as it will cause severe damage to the pavements.
2. The preferable height of the water table should be __________
a) 0.75 m
b) 1.0 m
c) 1.2 m
d) 0.5 m
Explanation: The preferred height for the ground water should be 1.2 m below the sub grade. If it is less than 1.2 m it may raise upward.
3. The precautions should be mostly taken for drainage in __________
a) Dry areas
b) Semi dry areas
c) Water logged areas
d) Desert areas
Explanation: Special precautions need to be taken especially in the areas where there is water logging.
4. The increase in moisture causes the strength to __________
c) Remains same
d) Can’t determine
Explanation: An increase in the moisture content will reduce the strength of the soil, so it should be very carefully calculated.
5. The excess water on shoulder in a dry region with a good drainage system causes __________
a) Water stagnation
c) Damage to pavement
d) Increase of initial cost
Explanation: The damage of pavement is caused due to the excessive amount of water on the pavement shoulders.
6. The sustained contact with water cause failure due to __________
Explanation: The sustained contact with water in flexible pavement causes stripping of bitumen from aggregate.
7. The damage in cold region is caused due to __________
c) Frost action
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: In cold regions when freezing temperatures are prevalent then there is considerable damage due to frost action.
8. The path of wheels cause damage in the form of __________
d) Ruts and corrugation
Explanation: The ruts and corrugation are formed due to the heavy vehicles, and they give impressions on the pavement.
9. The swelling and shrinkage is mostly seen in __________
c) Black cotton soil
Explanation: The black cotton soil is a soil in which mostly alternative shrinkage and drying occurs, in construction of pavement the black cotton soil is not preferred.
10. In India for storm sewage and domestic sewage we use?
a) Individual sewers
b) Combined sewers
c) Iron pipes
d) Closed sewers
Explanation: In India we mostly use combined sewers and they are mostly open and made with concrete.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.