This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Flexible Pavement-Components and their Functions”.
1. The most superior material is used in _____________
b) sub base
Explanation: The most superior material is used in the surface layer of pavement as it is the layer that is exposed to more number of stresses.
2. The soil sub grade suitable for pavement is _____________
c) Black cotton soil
d) Red soil
Explanation: The soil sub grade most suitable for pavement layer is gravel as it is very strong rock, black cotton is not suitable for pavement but suitable for crops, sand has a danger of liquefaction and red soil is not so advisable.
3. The drainage layer is _____________
a) Sub grade
b) Sub base
Explanation: The drainage layer of the pavement is granular sub base course which collects water from pavement surfaces.
5. What is the minimum thickness of compacted sub grade?
a) 300 mm
b) 500 mm
c) 700 mm
d) 900 mm
Explanation: The minimum thickness of sub grade required is 300mm and in highways it is 500 mm as they are provided with the maximum best facilities.
5. What is the most common test used in evaluating soil strength?
d) Plate bearing test
Explanation: All the tests are performed but the most commonly used one is CBR, which is called as California bearing test, performed in India.
6. The CBR standard penetration is __________
a) 2.5 mm
b) 5.0 mm
c) 7.5 mm
Explanation: The standard penetration value of the CBR value is 2.5mm if 5 mm value is greater then the penetration test is repeated again.
7. What is the minimum thickness of seal coat?
Explanation: The minimum thickness of the seal coat required is 20mm for bitumen pavement, seal coat is a layer above the flexible pavement surface.
8. The impact value of aggregate used in the pavement is __________
Explanation: The aggregate impact value should not be more than 30% for aggregate used in bitumen if it is less than 30 the aggregate may be replaced.
9. The abrasion value of the aggregate in pavement should be less than __________
Explanation: The abrasion value of aggregate should not be more than 40% for the aggregate tested by Los Angeles abrasion test, if it is more than 40, then it may be rejected.
10. The specifications for highway are prepared by __________
Explanation: The specifications for the highway are prepared by MORTH, which is the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!