This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Materials used in Highway Construction”.
1. The materials not included in highway construction are __________
Explanation: Petrol is not used directly in highway construction, but by-product like bitumen is used. Stone, dust and soil may be used in subgrade and base.
2. For places where there is a passage of flood water then the highway has to be built on __________
Explanation: If the HFL is more than the formation level of the road which is going to be provided, then it has to be built on embankment.
3. The layer which is constructed above embankment is called __________
a) Sub grade
d) Sub base
Explanation: The embankment is the lowest layer and it is below the sub grade, base is above sub base, sub base is above the sub grade.
4. The highest CBR number is required for __________
b) Sub grade
c) Sub base
Explanation: CBR number decreases with an increase in height, the soil requires the highest CBR and the pavement requires the lowest CBR.
5. What is the most common waste material used in construction?
a) Fly ash
d) Rice husk
Explanation: Fly ash is an industrial waste obtained from the thermal plants, it has been mandatory to use the fly ash in bricks.
6. Bitumen is a by-product of __________
Explanation: Bitumen is obtained by burning the petroleum at high temperatures, it is mostly used in the construction of flexible pavements.
7. Tar is a by-product of __________
Explanation: Tar is a by-product which is obtained from wood, tar and bitumen may look similar, but they are not the same.
8. In the initial stage of construction which type of pavement is cheap?
Explanation: Flexible pavements are easy to construct and have cheaper cost than C. C pavements and also they are easily accessible to the users.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!