This set of Highway Engineering Question Bank focuses on “Distresses in Flexible Pavements and Maintenance Measures – 2”.
1. The measure not adopted in reconstruction of new highway is _____________
a) Providing effective drainage system
b) Designing as per traffic
c) Use of inferior quality material
d) Use of modern machinery
Explanation: The measure not adopted is the use of inferior material, superior quality materials should be used.
2. Common types of unsurfaced roads adopted in India are ___________
a) Gravel roads
b) WBM roads
c) Both gravel and WBM
d) Flexible pavements
Explanation: The gravel roads and WBM roads are most commonly used unsurfaced roads and they get damaged very easily.
3. The cross slope required for the correction of shoulder is?
Explanation: The cross slope of the shoulder required may be 5%, as they need frequent attention from damage due to rain.
4. The defects like pot holes, corrugation, rutting can be rectified by ___________
d) Chemical treatment
Explanation: The grading is an operation that is used to rectify the defects in the initial stage, it is carried out in two stages.
5. The re gravelled course is checked at a distance of every ___________
a) 10 m
b) 20 m
c) 50 m
d) 100 m
Explanation: The gravel course is checked for every 100 m interval by using a camber board.
6. The dust palliative not used for reducing dust is ___________
a) Magnesium chloride
b) Calcium chloride
d) Fly ash
Explanation: The fly ash is a waste product obtained from the thermal power plant and it is a mineral admixture.
7. The WBM mostly get damaged in ___________
c) Rainy season
Explanation: The WBM mostly get damaged in the rainy season particularly due to steel vehicle drawn by animals.
8. The distress not caused in localised form is ___________
a) Pot hole
b) Isolated crack stress
c) Localised depression
Explanation: The Liquefaction is a phenomenon that occurs in the sand, particularly during monsoon and heavy floods.
9. An existing flexible pavement that develops extensive cracks is called ___________
b) Alligator cracks
d) Pot hole
Explanation: The flexible pavement which gets extensive cracks by inter connection of blocks is called alligator cracking.
10. Shear failure are classified into how many types?
Explanation: Shear failure classified into two types, first one takes place in heavy traffic areas and in second type it is limited to bitumen surface only.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice Highway Engineering Question Bank, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.