This set of Highway Engineering test focuses on “Traffic Regulation and Control – 2”.
1. To reduce the conflict points which method is preferable?
a) Restricting the entry in one side
b) Widening of the roads
c) Use of traffic signals
d) Diverting the traffic
Explanation: In this case, use of traffic signals is advisable as it will be useful to control the traffic up to a certain extent; if it becomes heavy, then diverting may be other option which is not convenient.
2. One of the disadvantages of traffic signals is
a) Provide orderly moment at intersection
b) The quality of the traffic flow improves
c) Traffic handling capacity increases
d) The rear end collision increases
Explanation: The rear end collisions are common in very highly populated cities, if there is a sudden stoppage of vehicles there is a chance of rear end collision.
3. The traffic signals that are installed for pedestrians are called
a) Traffic control signals
b) Pedestrian signals
c) Special traffic signals
d) Automatic signals
Explanation: The signals that are installed for pedestrians are called as pedestrian signals; they are useful when there is no person to control the traffic.
4. The clearance time for amber is usually
Explanation: The clearance time for amber may be assumed as 2sec to 4 sec, in most of the cities it is assumed as 3 seconds.
5. In trial cycle method, the average time headway is assumed as
Explanation: The average headway in the trial cycle method is assumed as 2.5sec for 15mintutes of trial cycle.
6. The number of cycles for a trial period of 45 sec is
Explanation: Number of cycles=900/45
7. If the number of cycles in trial cycle method is 20, for traffic of 170 on one road and 160 on other road, then calculate the total green time in sec
Explanation: Green time on 1st road=170*2.5/20
Green time on 2nd road=160*2.5/20
Total green time=41 sec
8. In approximate method of signals, the average time taken to cross by the pedestrian is
Explanation: In approximate method, the time taken is assumed as the crossing time and initial time taken to cross, which should not be less than 7sec.
9. There is a traffic flow of 250 vehicles on road A and 200 vehicles on road B, if the green signal time on road A is 15 sec, then the green signal time of road B is
Explanation: From the relationship,
10. If the amber time at a signal is 3 sec and the green signal time is 25sec, find the red signal time
Explanation: The total red time is the sum of green time and amber time, so total red time=25+3=28sec.
11. Which of the traffic signal method is based on saturation flow?
a) Trial cycle method
b) Webster method
c) IRC method
d) Approximate method
Explanation: The saturation flow is the maximum flow which occurs on the peak hours and it is the maximum flow, in absence of data it is assumed as 1600PCU.
12. On a 2 phase road, the saturation flow on road A is 1000 and normal flow is 250,whereas on road B the saturation flow is 1500 and normal flow is 500,the total red time is 10 sec , find optimum cycle length
13. Which type of traffic island can be used for reduction of conflict point?
a) Divisional Island
b) Channelized Island
c) Pedestrian Loading Island
d) Rotary Island
Explanation: The major conflicting points can be mostly reduced by rotary islands, which are mostly used near major traffic intersections.
14. The indicators that may be marked for visible outline of the road is called
a) Roadway indicator
b) Roadway delineator
c) Roadway line
d) Roadway markings
Explanation: The indicators that are marked for the visible outline are called as roadway indicators, they are of 3 types they are roadway indicator, hazard makers and object markers.
15. The guide posts are usually of height
Explanation: The guide posts are usually of height 0.8-1.2m and they are placed at 45 degree angle for clear visibility.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering for tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.